Sweet Smell coming from incubator

DangerChickenHouse

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Charlotte, NC
This is day 22 - no hatch.

The night of day 18, the incubator went up to 106 degrees when it had been pretty stable the other days ranging from 99-101. We are wondering if the chicks are dead.

The smell is sweet. I can't really describe it though. Maybe a sweet milky smell? It's not a rotten smell......yet. What are we smelling?

106 is pretty high.....I'm not familiar with a sweet smell, but can you candle the eggs? That odor may be the beginning of a stinky egg cracking or worse, blowing up.........Ya better hurry!

Yea I agree, if your on day 22 and starting to smell anything I would candle to see if you have any internal pips or ozzing eggs. Be careful, you reallllly don't want one to blow up on you!!!
sickbyc.gif

Is there a a hint of a smell that is similar to grape soda? That's usually invasive bacteria on organic material. That's a simple way of telling in a lab if your sample is ruined.

Not grape soda. More like sweetened condensed milk.

I was thinking bacteria too.......

It's day 22. I hate to give up on them this early, but I think it might be a lost cause.

Last edited:
That is surely a funny smell, (do you have kids?) Ya never know what they may have been doing and spilled something in there, and wiped the noticeable part up.

I quickly candled and smelled the eggs. I only have two and it's day 22.
idunno.gif

Egg 1 - the stinky egg. I guess it's rotting. It is developed, but I guess something went wrong. It doesn't smell good.

Egg 2 - It quit on me before it was fully developed. I'm not sure when.

So, I guess I throw my eggs away. I'll re-set on Wednesday. This time I'll try to incubate more eggs.

Back
Top Bottom