Sweeter Heater vs Premier1 Heating Plate

Well, I’m planning to use the Sweeter Heater this year but I appreciate the recommendation! :)

the Sweeter Heater radiates heat downward and does not require contact to heat.
That could be true...then you could measure the temp on the floor under the heater.

Well, I’m planning to use the Sweeter Heater this year but I appreciate the recommendation! :)
Do let us know how it goes.
How do you plan on suspending the heater?
Make sure you can easily lift to get under there, for observation.

That could be true...then you could measure the temp on the floor under the heater.

Do let us know how it goes.
How do you plan on suspending the heater?
Make sure you can easily lift to get under there, for observation.
I'll experiment with temperature measuring and see if I can get anything to work. In Damerow's article linked above, she did use a temperature probe in her brooders so she must have been measuring something, though I don't know if she was using a different scale and not looking for 95(etc.)-degree air temperature.

I will be sure to keep you all posted on how things go.

I've actually been brainstorming about suspension options this afternoon. The top on my current set-up is about 22 inches above the brooder floor, and I'm considering putting screw eye hooks in the wooden lid and then using short chains to suspend the heater, using something like small carabiners or a double-end bolt snap to allow me to raise the heater as they grow.

This method, however, wouldn't make quick lifts for observation super convenient, so I might need to rig a pulley system. I just haven't quite worked out how I would do that yet. I'm still thinking on it.

My temperature-measuring endeavors so far have been unsuccessful (see photo for my hilarious testing setup--and this is the second model). With the hover hung 6 inches from the floor, air temp climbed about 10 degrees and water in a ramekin about 5-10 degrees. I turned the Sweeter Heater on last night and the good news is, the lens (the heated side on the bottom) is not scorchingly hot to the touch. But that's kind of the bad news, too. I can't tell for sure whether it will be warm enough. I had it in my 70* living room, and the ambient temperature in my coop is going to be at least 40* lower than that at nighttime. I don't have a infrared laser temp gun, though I think it would be helpful. I'm mulling over whether I want to spend the money to invest in one, or just trust the set-up once I have the 3 sides blocked off to contain the heat the chicks will put off after absorbing it from the hover. I know that regular thermometer measuring is NOT supposed to be reliable for this sort of thing, so I'm trying not to panic too much yet. I wish I had a couple of chicks to stick under it and see how they react, as I know that will be my biggest indicator.

IMG_5958.jpg

Okay, new attempt at checking temperatures!

I hung the Sweeter Heater in an old wire dog crate I have, about six inches from the ground. I placed a large apple in the crate under the hover and left it overnight. Using a grill thermometer stuck into the top of the apple this morning, the highest read I got was about 88F. I’m trying to decide if this is warm enough? Ambient room temperature is probably about 67-70 degrees in my dining room. No “drafts” exactly though I didn’t place any solid guards around the wire like I would if I put chicks into it.

I’m feeling hesitant that this hover is going to be able to keep my chicks warm in a coop with 50 degrees for ambient April temps, let alone 20-30 at night. Any thoughts?

The apple temp—it’s a thermometer you stick normally into meats on the grill.

I got a 90F tonight. There is also a chancel the thermometer isn’t well calibrated to distinguish perfectly with lower temps....

I got a sweeter heater, and the chicks love it. I got it mainly for dual-purpose reasons... I want to migrate it to the coop to help take the chill out when it gets sub zero in winter.

Back
Top Bottom