Swelling behind the eye - what is it and how do we treat?

Duke15

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2020
Hi All,

I’m new to this page and still relatively new to chickens, so hoping for some advise....

We noticed the weekend before last a swelling behind the eye of one of our recently re-homed hens. We did 2 days of just cleaning it and there was no improvement so we took her to the vets to be on the safe side....10 days, 3 vet visits and 3 antibiotic injections and daily eye cream later and there’s very little/no improvement (although it hasn’t got worse).

Has anyone ever seen or treated anything like this before and if so, with what and how?! She’s still eating normally, milling around the garden as usual but she just looks like she’s been in a flight! She isn’t laying but hasn’t laid since we got her but hasn’t done so for the last year according to her last owner.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• BC4F6BDC-32BA-4564-8C02-385CD8DA8CE1.png
    BC4F6BDC-32BA-4564-8C02-385CD8DA8CE1.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 367DCBE5-5405-432E-A18F-31E7F2AC44F2.jpeg
    367DCBE5-5405-432E-A18F-31E7F2AC44F2.jpeg
    598 KB · Views: 7
Is she laying? Have you checked for lice and mites? Is she showing any other symptoms like sneezing, nasal drainage or coughing?

She isn’t laying, but hasn’t done so for the past year since 2 new flock mates were introduced.
She’s been treated for lice and mites and has no other symptoms such as sneezing or coughing or nasal drainage. Her comb is also still lovely and red.

She isn’t laying, but hasn’t done so for the past year since 2 new flock mates were introduced.
She’s been treated for lice and mites and has no other symptoms such as sneezing or coughing or nasal drainage. Her comb is also still lovely and red.
I’d still treat for a possible respiratory infection. Tylan 50, Duramycin or Penicillin should work. Just inject gently into the breast, make sure there’s no blood. So this once everyday for 5 days and see how’s she doing. I wish you well saw our house you’d know.

I’d still treat for a possible respiratory infection. Tylan 50, Duramycin or Penicillin should work. Just inject gently into the breast, make sure there’s no blood. So this once everyday for 5 days and see how’s she doing. I wish you well saw our house you’d know.

Thank you for your help ☺️ We’re back at the vets this evening so will speak to her. She’s been on 3 day antibiotic injections so will ask about the possibility of changing them.

Back
Top Bottom