Swelling below vent, listless, lifeless hen, breathing heavily

Anita Fajita

In the Brooder
I cleaned the pooh from my hen's vent because it was hard and I didn't want to encourage parasites. I used warm water and got most of it off. I was gentle with her but had to tilt her on her back and keep a firm hold. When I released her she didn't move - just stood for a good long while, then sat. She hardly moved for the rest of the day, and when she did she creeped along as if in discomfort. I noticed she has a swelling below her vent. I am frightened that I have damaged her when cleaning her and perhaps broken an egg inside her? I have brought her inside for the night. Her breathing is audible and I have sat her on a towel with a hot water bottle underneath. I have not got calcium tablets yet - will get these in the morning. She has taken no food and little water from a pipette. Does this sound like an egg is broken inside to any of you more experienced chicken keepers?

I cleaned the pooh from my hen's vent because it was hard and I didn't want to encourage parasites. I used warm water and got most of it off. I was gentle with her but had to tilt her on her back and keep a firm hold. When I released her she didn't move - just stood for a good long while, then sat. She hardly moved for the rest of the day, and when she did she creeped along as if in discomfort. I noticed she has a swelling below her vent. I am frightened that I have damaged her when cleaning her and perhaps broken an egg inside her? I have brought her inside for the night. Her breathing is audible and I have sat her on a towel with a hot water bottle underneath. I have not got calcium tablets yet - will get these in the morning. She has taken no food and little water from a pipette. Does this sound like an egg is broken inside to any of you more experienced chicken keepers?
Can you provide some clear pictures of the hens vent area.
You can check for a broken egg by inserting a finger into the vent (carefully) about one and a half inches depth and feeling for the egg or broken shell.

I'm sorry to read this.:(
Sometimes they die and there is nothing one can do about it.
I've not managed to get used to it, but in some cases I can see that they aren't suffering any more and that must be a good thing.:hugs

Back
Top Bottom