Swelling Feet. HELP!

tuagmus

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2016
Wausau, WI
So my ayam cemani rooster Carlos fell from his perch and got stuck at the side in my coop. Not sure how long he was stuck there. He was basically squooshed. When I found him he was very weak, his feet and everything else was fine aside from not able to walk and hungry. The side was pretty cold. 20 degree F to 36 degree F. After finding him I placed him in a chicken feed under a heating lamp about a ft high from him. He stayed there for 10hrs and one of his foot swelled up.

Is there anyway to help it? Should I pop it? Cut it?
[/IMG]

Do you see any wounds on the foot?

Personally I would not pop it. Since it is from injury - being stuck/smooshed - I would wait to see if the swelling goes down and then evaluate from there.

You can soak the foot in a warm epsom salts bath to see if this helps with the swelling. Keep him hydrated, offer him some poultry vitamins and extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat in addition to his normal feed. He may be a bit stressed or in shock, if he was stuck for a long time.

Just my thoughts.

His swelling didnt go and his skin is peeling...hes in a lot of pain with the swelling. With the peeled skin there seems to be ooze coming out. Not sure what I should do now.

His swelling didnt go and his skin is peeling...hes in a lot of pain with the swelling. With the peeled skin there seems to be ooze coming out. Not sure what I should do now.
I think you should soak the foot in epsom salt and keep it clean. After soaking it you should rub some triple antibiotic cream on it to keep it clean and from getting infected. Make sure he is kept in a place where he does not have to put pressure in his injury. I hope he gets well soon!! :hugs

Last edited:

How long has it been since the injury?

Can you post some more clear photos of what it looks like now - the peeling skin and where it is oozing?
Does it have any odor?

If you have a vet that can see him, that would be best - they can prescribe antibiotics and pain meds.

You can give him some aspirin in his water to see if this will help with pain. Dissolve an 81mg aspirin (like Bayer Low Dosage) in 1 quart of water - let him drink free choice. If he is not drinking at all, then either syringe solution into him or tube the liquid.

If you don't have vet care and the wound is worsening and/or becoming infected - then you may be able to find Penicillin at your local feed store. Dosages vary by brand or type you find, so you may have to do some research on dosage or post back here, we'll try to figure it out.

If there is an obvious wound on the foot, clean it well, soak it in epsom salts, Betadine or Chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn. Keep him on clean dry bedding.
You may also want to take a look at making a sling for him in his cage - only use it for a few hours a day - this will get him upright and positions changed if he is constantly laying down. Some chickens don't tolerate being placed in a sling - so you will need to do this when you are home so you can monitor him.

Sling Ideas:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/546979/mareks-chicken-sling-pics-included

Reference using Procaine penicillin G
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1121290/swollen-foot-spreading#post_17284805

Reference for Aspirin Solution:
http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments

He seems to be fine now. He doesn't use his feet very much anf he sits most or all the time.

Where can I get the ointments for the feet?

Back
Top Bottom