Swelling on goslings face

jesusonhi

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015

Please help! Just cropped up overnight.

I have a photo, I hope you can see it. Almost 3 weeks old, lives alone in a large horse trough with grass and straw, in a spare room in my house. No discharge, everything is fine as far as appetite and water intake is concerned.

Sorry no one has been on to look at this, have you checked in the mouth to make sure nothing is stuck? is that a sore place? Is there anything inside the horse trough the gosling could have rubbed it's face on? Chinese gosling? why no buddy?

Thank you so much for replying.
Yes, it is a Chinese gosling.
No sharp edges in the trough.
How do I look in the mouth?
Eats well. Acts like nothing bothers him.
The swelling is soft and does not hurt.
No buddy because he was a lone survivor after being left outside with 10 others after being delivered to the wrong address. No one has any goslings available so he is sadly alone.

Thank you so much for replying.
Yes, it is a Chinese gosling.
No sharp edges in the trough.
How do I look in the mouth?
Eats well. Acts like nothing bothers him.
The swelling is soft and does not hurt.
No buddy because he was a lone survivor after being left outside with 10 others after being delivered to the wrong address. No one has any goslings available so he is sadly alone.
Well he has you. you can put a mirror without sharp edges in his brooder and a stuffed animal to cuddle with. Just gently open his mouth an have a quick look could be a piece of bedding depending on what you have the gosling on Does the gosling have a way to wash his face and eyes out/ very important. They need to have water especially for cleaning and eating. If you want you can add some Apple Cider Vinegar to the drinking head washing water. 1 Tab to 1 gal of water ACV can kill some bacteria. and you can put something like Neosporin w/o pain relief on his swelling don't know if it will do any good but can't hurt. Other than a bite or some kind of infection I can't imagine. So as long as he/she is acting normal still eating and drinking just watch it now hopefully it will go down on it's own. Once I opened a bag of shaving to put in the duck house I was using my hand to distribute the shaving around well something bit me they determined it was a brown recluse I had alot of pain and had to have strong antibiotic injections. could have lost my finger, telling you this because spiders can be in bedding or just in our homes so maybe it is a spider bite. Of course this is only a guess. I just hope it goes away. So the goslings weren't for you but you ended up with this lil one? If it's an abscess it may have to have a vet look at it.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your help. I'll attempt to look in his mouth today.
A friend of mine knows someone who owns a feed store locally. She had put in an order of geese. They were left out at the airport instead of being delivered. Once the error was discovered, most all perished. She could not sell the remaining gosling so my friend took the little one. He didn't want him so he gave him to me on Mother's Day.
Thank you again for your insight. I really appreciate it.

Thank you for all your help. I'll attempt to look in his mouth today.
A friend of mine knows someone who owns a feed store locally. She had put in an order of geese. They were left out at the airport instead of being delivered. Once the error was discovered, most all perished. She could not sell the remaining gosling so my friend took the little one. He didn't want him so he gave him to me on Mother's Day.
Thank you again for your insight. I really appreciate it.
I'm sorry that happened poor lil things. But now you have a buddy. whether you wanted one or not lol okay https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-and-caring-for-goslings I meant to give this link to you has some good info

we also have a house goose thread here on BYC.

A good way to hold the gosling still while checking in the mouth might be to wrapy loosely in a towel lay him on his back just long enough to look they aren't suppose to stay on their backs long something about their air sacs . But long enough to check out the inside of his mouth would be okay.

Last edited:
I will check out the link you provided.
Thank you so much.
Actually, I never wanted a goose, they terrify me. Every experience I have ever had with a goose was never a good one. This little baby, on the other hand, has been nothing but a joy.
Would you happen to know when he is able to go outdoors?

I will check out the link you provided.
Thank you so much.
Actually, I never wanted a goose, they terrify me. Every experience I have ever had with a goose was never a good one. This little baby, on the other hand, has been nothing but a joy.
Would you happen to know when he is able to go outdoors?
He'll need to be completely feathered in since he won't be able to regulate his body temp while he is only clad in baby down. lol so probably around 6-8 weeks. But you can take the lil one outside on nice warm days so it can have some grass they love to graze. Do you have other poultry? if so you might want on nice warm days take him outside to visit and get to know everyone only when you can stay to watch though because he is going to be looked at as an intruder.

Back
Top Bottom