Swimming Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by irisheyes, Jul 22, 2010.

1. irisheyes

irisheyes In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    I have always heard that Chickens cant swim , well I have one that can , our neighbors dog chased one of my chicks into our pond. She swam to the middle and was there floating until we got the dog under contol. As soon as we did she swam to the bank and ran.

She was completely exhausted and laid under a bush for a while but made out fine:)

2. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Songster

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    good for your hen!!

3. Animallover606

Animallover606 Songster

Apr 12, 2008
    Wow thats an awesome hen! Lucky You!

4. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Songster

Nov 8, 2009
    Amazing! Glad she made it!

5. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Songster 9 Years

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I've had several of my girls try to fly across my pool only to ditch. It's amazing but they are quite good swimmers....like a duck. I did have to help them out of the pool as they couldn't figure out how to use the ladder however.

6. kg7il

kg7il Hatching

Nov 30, 2010
    Graham / Eatonville, WA
    I too have a swimming chicken.
    I was feeding the ducks on the far side of the pond, several chickens followed me around the pond.
    When it was time to head back, one of my chickens just jumped in the pond and swam across.

She just walked up out of the water and joined the rest of the chickens as if all was normal.
    You should be able to see the pic in the uploads under 72946_2011_joyces_eatonville_pics_062.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: