Swimming Ducklings

Miss Ducky

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Michigan
I like to let my ducklings go for a supervised swim everyday, in the bathtub. I do not, however look forward to cleaning the tub everyday. In my backyard, I have a fairly decent sized pond (Probably about the size of the average in ground pool, except round, and 15ft deep in the middle) the the ducks will have full access to when they are grown. If I let the ducklings swim in the pond, will they stay fairly close to the shore/me? Some days I would be able to swimming with them, and I could preform emergency duckling lifeguard duties if necessary(Though I'm not thrilled with the idea, and would prefer that that wouldn't be needed) I'll probably coax them back to shore with peas when it's time for them to go in. So, what do you guys think?

i think theyll be fine as long as they arent pushed into the water by you let them out right near the entrance of the water and kinda splash in it with your fingers and theyll catch on eventually

not quite yet. just give them a little tub of water. fill the tub up about 2 or 3 inches or give them a tupperware thing that is fairly large

Too young. They need to be 3 weeks old. Before that is is either the bath tub or a shallow pan out side. They do need to get dried off, if they are under 2 weeks and put back under the brooder to dry off completely. When they are 2 weeks you can keep them outdoors with shallow pans without supervision. They must be able to get in and out by themselves. At 2 weeks you should also have a covered pen or enclosure so no flying predator can get to them.

Going against all of your advise, (Sorry!) I let them go swimming in the pond today. I put on my bathing suit and went in with them, so I could give the, a place to rest on my hand and keep them near the shore. They LOVED it!!! Little Scuba was diving before we were in for half a minute! One of my silly babies kept on diving straight down to the bottom and then coming back up. We were in for about 15min and then I brought them back in under their brooder light.

Back
Top Bottom