Swimming in the cold

Redbirdacres

Songster
Mar 22, 2022
Hello! As I posted yesterday I have 7 ducklings. They're all about 7-14 days old (picked up 3 about 10 days ago and 4 more yesterday. Duck math is a thing too). The three we got first have had one swim session so far on a sunny day. However, we live in Wisconsin so we've gone from 80 to snow to 60s to cold to 70 and the last couple days it's been 40-50s wet and gross. All our chicks (ducklings, meat chicks, laying hens, and a roo) are in brooders in the garage. We have two dogs, one who would aggressively love and lick them, and one would eat them 🤣 So bringing them inside into a warm room and swimming in the bathtub or sink is not an option.

Two-three (not sure about one) are experiencing some leg issues and are being treated with extra B complex. I want them to be able to take the weight off their legs and get some good movement in those legs muscles. But how do I do that and make sure they don't get too cold? I can close the garage but how warm should the water be? Or should I wait? What do I do for these babies? Sorry it's long.

Just like you'd have for a baby. You don't want them to chill and since they are only wearing down right now the water needs to be warm. Warm water therapy, B complex and exercise [not running] but getting down where they can move around and explore is also good for them. we would put our ducklings down on the floor and let them explore. On warm days we took the outside to explore.

Back
Top Bottom