Swimming pool dangers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gary Rose, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Gary Rose

Gary Rose New Egg

Nov 7, 2008
    Not sure I'm even in the correct category, but I am thinking about keeping a few chickens in my backyard. I have a swimming pool. Will the chickens be attracted to it and does it present too much of a drowning hazard? I'd appreciate any advice based on similar experience. Thanks.

Gary Rose

2. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    We had one of those pop up blue pools this summer and my chickens didn't pay any attention too it.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they do accidentally fall in, and they can't get out, they will soak up water and sink.

4. Chicky85254

Chicky85254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    AZ & CA
    Great question, one I keep meaning to ask myself! I have an inground pool...is there a reason they'd be attracted to a pool?

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I have read stories of chickens drowning in pools. I would keep it covered when not in use.

6. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Gary Rose.
    Any open water is dangerous to chickens if they can get in to it. Chickens can not swim.

7. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    We have an above ground pool, and the girls have never paid any attention to it. I would be more concerned if the pool was in ground and easier for them to accidentally fall in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by