Switch Food?

If that happened to me I would switch back to my old feed and see if the production goes up. I live in CT and the temperature has varied 50 degrees Fahrenheit over two weeks and my egg production has been 5 a day for 15 days from 5 golden comets.
I do turn a light on at 5am daily, but no light the evening except a nightlight so they can get on the roost. I lock up the coop around a half hour after sunset and shut off the nightlight.
This is today's clutch. I hope you find the cause of the decline. It could be any of the other suggestions, but that change of feed is suspicious. If it is the feed it may take 2 to 4 weeks to see a change, but it will be close to the shortest days of the year and without artificial light you may not notice any increase in production,unless you have a sex-links type of chicken.

I do not think that anything has been changed to cause them stress.  It's been the same 7 chickens in my flock since their birth and haven't added any new birds, or had any change to my flock recently.  We do have predators like coyotes around, but where the chickens are situated in our yard, they haven't had any contact with any.  I have not checked for lice or mites...How do you do that? Is that something you would recommend?  
They do free range, but supervised.  And they also have a pretty big run.  I have checked around for hidden eggs and have not found any.  This week we have had 2 eggs every day, except for 2 days when none laid:((  If you (or anyone) can think of anything else it would be appreciated:)))

Most mites and lice and visible to the naked eye, so just part the feathers around the vent and on the shoulders of the bird. The type of lice we have around here are mostly common poultry lice, which are a reddish or whiteish flea-sized insect.

Is there any way you can lock them in the coop or a smaller area of the run for a couple days, just to be sure they aren't laying anywhere well hidden?

Thank you for your response! This has been slowly happening since August-September though, every week just less and less.  Could that be the case?  Do you think it's more likely something physical or something wrong with them, like an illness?

If they are all acting healthy, I doubt it's an illness.

Most mites and lice and visible to the naked eye, so just part the feathers around the vent and on the shoulders of the bird. The type of lice we have around here are mostly common poultry lice, which are a reddish or whiteish flea-sized insect.

Is there any way you can lock them in the coop or a smaller area of the run for a couple days, just to be sure they aren't laying anywhere well hidden?
If they are all acting healthy, I doubt it's an illness.

Ok I will definitely look for the mites tomorrow:) This next week they will probably be confined because of the rain, so I will see what happens egg wise. I think I might go back to Purina and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom