switched feed now have runny poop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by egyptchick, May 15, 2011.

1. egyptchick

egyptchick Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Ontario
    My girls were on a unmedicated chick starter from a farm supply shop. they were close to finishing and i bought a new kind of starter/grower from another store that buys from our local feed coop. i mixed the first few trough fulls about 50/50 but they ate it so fast and i ran out of the original feeder. we have noticed runny poop. is this because the switch over to fast or the recent intro of worms to their diet?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    What kind of worms are you feeding them? Most ground worms & snails carry parasites which cause round worms in chickens. (there is another type of worm they get this way, but the name escapes me now) Worms can be a serious issue in some flocks.

Also, not all feed is created equal. I ditched one brand because it gave them the runs.

FINALLY- If you just switched off medicated feed, and they all suddenly have the runs, you need to do a search and check for Cocci in your flock. This can easily kill yonger birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by