Switching eggs from incubator to broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by serendipityfarm, Nov 23, 2010.

1. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    I have some eggs in the incubator and am considering putting a couple under Mrs. Broody to let her hatch them naturally. (I'll give the 3 she's sitting on to another broody to finish those). Oh, and the 'bator eggs are at day 18 tonight. Broody's are due next week.
    Any opinions???

2. Hi! I move eggs from incubator to broody and broody to incubator all the time and never had any problems with the eggs hatching.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    That seems a bit risky.

Since the hens know when to go into lockdown. But giving her partially incubated eggs will put that off schedule

4. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    I was given the impression that they know when they are going to hatch (chick movement inside the egg?)
    I got the silkie eggs specifically to get a friend just for her, then she went broody on a couple of her own (XCochin)eggs.
    Anyway, I was thinking if they hatched under her, she'd stop being broody and be mommy instead, and they would think of her as MOM.

My biggest concern is that it's COLD outside. But I figured it's as warm under Mrs. B as in the incubator or the eggs she's sitting on wouldn't also be developing!

5. Hi! I don't think your broody-girls will know the difference in the time-line. She should follow her instincts and sit tight with the Day 18 eggs til they hatch (and raise them, if you let her).
    Good Luck!
    Lisa

6. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    My first broody was sitting on wooden eggs for several days before I discovered a clutch of fertilized eggs for her to take care of. She ended up sitting for 4 weeks on the fakes and then the fertilized eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by