Switching Feed.

Dinosaur Gal

Songster
6 Years
Aug 12, 2015
North Pole
I have been feeding cracked corn for a long time (Didn't know any better at the time) So anyways im switching to Purina Flock Raiser crumbles. So my question how do i switch them over to the new feed without upsetting there system?

Thanks ~Ashley :)

Mix the corn and the crumbles gradually increasing the % of crumbles and decreasing the % of corn until they are on 100 % crumbles.

After you've switched, I would only feed them cracked corn in the winter to keep their body temperatures up. And of course, only a little at a time, and to put it on the ground.

My neighbor mixed some cracked corn with his feed, and I've noticed that the chickens will rake all the crumble on the ground and just eat the corn. Not only does it waste the food, but they're also not getting all the nutrients they need.

Hope this helps!

Feed in a deep pan, gradually increasing the percentage of crumbles - that way waste will be kept to a minimum.

I would only feed them cracked corn in the winter to keep their body temperatures up.

Corn does not raise their body temp (give them a fever) we need to put that myth to a rest...

Calories is the measurement of available energy in food, 100 calories of corn has the same energy as 100 calories of chicken feed and thus will provide the same amount of available body heat generation...

Thank you for letting me know this! How would you suggest to keep there body temps up in the winter? Is there a food that dose?

A commercial chicken feed will do just fine all year while providing balanced nutrition and sufficient calories. Chickens eat based on their calorie needs for the day, when it gets cooler they eat more when it gets warmer they eat less to meet that days calorie needs...

A small amount of corn won't hurt as it does provide high calories per volume, but on the flip side it doesn't provide a balanced diet, so it should be limited...

Back
Top Bottom