switching from starter to layer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by maryann momhen, Aug 16, 2014.

1. maryann momhen

maryann momhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    My girls are 18 weeks and although they haven't started laying yet I figured they probably will be soon...not sure...but..I bought layer feed in pellets after tthey just finished the starter grower feed....and they don't seem to like it ornot sure if its the size of the pellets they don't like...I tried smashing up a cup of the pellets..but they still are bawking...is it just that they're just not used to the change or have I spoiled them and they're expecting corn or peas or some other treat...anybody else experience this?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    You need to stop feeding all foods except the layer feed. They'll have to eat it since they have nothing else.

3. maryann momhen

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    Yeah...that's what I figured...tks..momhens gotta stop spoiling them...

4. maryann momhen

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    Well...the momentous occasion has arrived...after 2 unsuccessful attempts..2 yolks with no shell...3s a charm...aziraphale gave us the cutest tiny beige egg this morning...and it was as beautiful inside as out...perfectly firm orange yolk ..white white...and delicious taste....21 weeks...

5. maryann momhen

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by