Switching to all flock

Thinking the coop may be too big for them.
How many chickens do you have?
How big is the coop?

"Too big" is not usually a problem. Unless it is so huge they get lost going from one side to the other, I would not worry about it. More space usually means less problems (less fighting and picking among the chickens, less stink, less frequent cleaning, etc.)

The usual guideline is at least 4 square feet per chicken in the coop, and at least 10 square feet per chicken in the run.

(This is assuming "coop" is a sheltered area where the chickens sleep and where they spend rainy days or cold days, and "run" is surronded by wire fencing but exposed to the weather. If you have really bad winters, you might make a sheltered area with 10 or more square feet per chicken and skip the run. In a hot climate, you might skip the coop entirely and just put a roof on the run, again with 10 or more square feet per chicken.)

I have 11 and coop is about 4x8. i thought maybe if it's too big they get cold easier or something.

I also wasn't liking crumbles cause the feeder gets like full of fine powdered food that they seem to not like.

Guess I'll stick with grower/starter and give side dish of grit and another of oyster shell. Almost bought some today but wasn't sure if it was the right kind. Package said oyster and shells and ingredients seemed sketchy.

I'm going to try and grow some barley for them and see if that helps food last longer

I have 11 and coop is about 4x8. i thought maybe if it's too big they get cold easier or something.

I also wasn't liking crumbles cause the feeder gets like full of fine powdered food that they seem to not like.

Guess I'll stick with grower/starter and give side dish of grit and another of oyster shell. Almost bought some today but wasn't sure if it was the right kind. Package said oyster and shells and ingredients seemed sketchy.

I'm going to try and grow some barley for them and see if that helps food last longer

4x8 is 32 square foot. The "thumb rules" would say that's adequate for 8 birds. Climate and conditions can vary that quite a lot, but that's your starting point.

Good luck on the barley.

Re: Oyster shell, chickens can be picky - I've had poor luck with the MannaPro brand (too bad, It was only way I can buy it 50# at a time, I think i have a new source now though), so buy a small bag first (also, you don't need 50# for just 11 birds) so you aren't deeply invested in something they don't use eagerly when they need it. others haven't reported that problem.

Even though I don't feed my own flock that way (for reasons that would result in a much longer post), I recommend - for the typical backyard keeper, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management practices - the feeding of an All Flock/Flock Raiser "type" feed, with free choice grit and free choice oyster shell for all your birds, all their lives, for every life stage and gender.

All Flock / Flock Raiser "type" is shorthand for a complete feed between 18-20% protein, about 3.5% fiber +/-, about 3.5% fat +/-, with about 1.5% calcium +/-. "Starter", "Grower", and "Starter/Grower" often meet those figures, and can be used interchangeably if so - (and are, when pandemic shortages make your regular choices out of stock). The descriptor on the label doesn't matter, the guaranteed nutritional analysis does.

Interestingly, in at least one major brand, their AFFR is better nutrition than their Starter/Grower.

Of course, if you can't get AFFR Crumbles, that's not a great solution - the chicks need crumble, not pelleted feed.
I was curious about this and you covered it very well. So just to be clear I can pretty much go about this the same way I've gone about all life stages dog food? Some ages may need a little extra of things than others but covers the basics for all ages?

I guess it's probably just the right size then. They free range and have an auto door that opens first sunlight and last light so they probably don't need as big a coop as birds who don't get out much. They all seem to get along nicely so far so they probably alright

I was curious about this and you covered it very well. So just to be clear I can pretty much go about this the same way I've gone about all life stages dog food? Some ages may need a little extra of things than others but covers the basics for all ages?

Yes. All FLock FLock Raiser "hits all the numbers" except calcium. Too much calcium is bad for birds. Its a little bad for birds that are in molt. Its a little to moderately bad for hatchlings, adolescents, and hens before point of lay. Its very bad for roosters. But how much is too much varies by age, breed, and individual (and also calcium type). So All flock / flock raiser provides enough to meet the minimums (about 1.5% +/-) plus an appropriate amount of phospherus (the Ca/P ratio is very important too, but varies based on a number of factors). Offering oyster shell free choice allows birds that need more calcium to get it, in whatever amount they feel they need.

Yes. All FLock FLock Raiser "hits all the numbers" except calcium. Too much calcium is bad for birds. Its a little bad for birds that are in molt. Its a little to moderately bad for hatchlings, adolescents, and hens before point of lay. Its very bad for roosters. But how much is too much varies by age, breed, and individual (and also calcium type). So All flock / flock raiser provides enough to meet the minimums (about 1.5% +/-) plus an appropriate amount of phospherus (the Ca/P ratio is very important too, but varies based on a number of factors). Offering oyster shell free choice allows birds that need more calcium to get it, in whatever amount they feel they need.
Awesome. I wasn't sure if it worked the same general way. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I appreciate it!

That is definitely not too big.

Chickens mostly stay warm by ruffling up their feathers to trap more warm air against their skin, so small spaces do not help them very much. They have problems if they are sitting in the wind (because if can blow through their feathers and steal that warm air, and then they have to warm up some new air.) But as long as they are out of the wind, a big space does not bother them.

Something like a dog or cat will deal with cold by finding a small spot and curling up in a ball, maybe with some others to snuggle against, and baby chicks will also snuggle together, but adult chickens just line up in a row on their perch in all weather.

Darn, maybe they are not showing yet, but i think they are all female

Attachments

• 20220127_085613.jpg
    20220127_085613.jpg
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220127_085507.jpg
    20220127_085507.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220127_085501.jpg
    20220127_085501.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220127_085457.jpg