swollen abdomen and limp comb...help!

She is probably ok with them----if this is what I described--the egg bound is different than your normal egg bound----she is probably producing shell-less eggs and they are just building up inside her---which is what is making her heavier and hard. Let me find a pic-----not a pretty site though.

EggBound003_zpsdad4798d.jpg

Casportpony can give us more on this----I did the necropsy of a sort.

In this picture---slightly below middle is a stack of egg shells that I broke apart some before I took this pic. Looks like a egg tried to pass and stopped, then the next egg broke/crushed the shell at the top and stacked its-self in side the first, and this continued for look like about 10 eggs. This stack of 1/2 shells became like a brittle bone---seemed to fuse together but brittle. Then it appears the egg shells stopped and there was just yolks. There was 16 unbusted yolks and Many busted that the body heat somewhat cooked----the whole time the "tube" the eggs pass through kept stretching. This hen eat good but could not roost anymore and her weight was not far from double what it should have been.

I could tell she was in misery so I culled her.

Back
Top Bottom