Swollen and bleeding base of feather/follicle

Chickenlady46

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2016
South West Scotland, UK
Hello,

Found one of my hens with her chest feathers covered in blood 4 days ago. She was obviously weak and not feeling well. On examining her she has a very small lump (about a little finger nail size) at the base of one of her upper/middle chest feathers that had been bleeding over night.

I cleaned it and it bled quite a bit from a small 'hole' - doesn't seem deep, at the top of the little lump and at the base of the feather shaft. Bandaged her up for 3 days until the bandage was falling off, so removed it. It was dry and scabby. She was back to normal again after her 'blood loss'.

Unfortunately, she has pecked it again and it started bleeding. I again washed it - but there really seemed to be a LOT of blood coming out of it. Took a while to stop it bleeding and she is now bandaged up again and is again weak and looking like she is suffering from the loss of blood.

Does anyone know what may have caused this or what it is? Are chicken wounds like head wounds on people and bleed/look worse than they really are?

I'm reluctant to take her to the vets as all our local ones seem pretty clueless where chickens are concerned and just dish out antibiotics and/or say they don't really know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined but sorry about your chicken. For the best advice on your issue, the following would be the place to post. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
You can just cut and paste what you wrote into a new thread. There are some really knowledgeable folks that patrol that forum. Good luck and best wishes to your chicken!

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. Sorry about your injured chicken - can't say what the cause might be, sounds like an unusual placement of injury - but many injuries do indeed look worse than they are. I've seen birds who were absolutely covered in blood, looked like something out of a horror movie - really they had just broken a few pin feathers and didn't even have a real injury.

Her injury doesn't sound very serious but, when you mention her being "weak" again, that is something I would want explored- by the ER folks or a vet.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello and wish you luck with your injured girl!

All the best
CT

Thanks for responding everyone and for your advice :) Much appreciated. My hen is ok again and back with her buddies. Keeping the bandage on (with regular checks) until the scab/lump has gone so she can't peck at it and re-open it.

Back
Top Bottom