Swollen bare rear end

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Caroline Pass, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Caroline Pass

Caroline Pass Hatching

Jan 8, 2018
    Hi, this is my first post here and hope someone can help. I have a new ex battery hen and she has a bare rear end which is very swollen - sounds awful but it looks like the sausagemeat when its been cooked with a roast turkey - sorry :( - I've put my finger in her vent (about 2 inches in) and cant feel an egg so dont think shes egg bound. She seems to eat, drink and poop but as she's new to my flock I wanted to see if anyone new what this could be and should I worry

Chix Omeletti likes this.
  2. Chix Omeletti

Chix Omeletti Chirping

Jan 8, 2018
    Longmont, CO
    So far, from what I can tell, you'll get a ton of help here. Wish I could tell you what you need to know.

Caroline Pass likes this.
  3. Welshies

Welshies Crowing

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Can you post a picture? What is her living situation and what is she fed?

4. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Songster

Feb 3, 2015
    Southeast Michigan
    She could be fat, she could be being picked on, and/or she could have another problem like internal laying or kidney failure. A picture would help out.

5. Caroline Pass

Caroline Pass Hatching

Jan 8, 2018
    I shall post a picture tomorrow as shes tucked up asleep now. Not sure about her diet as I only picked her up Sunday from the British Hen welfare trust (ex battery hen) Have spoken with them and they seem to think its due to intensive living conditions and rubbing the feathers off and it looks worse as she is bare and they were keen to stress keep a close eye on her. The internal laying does worry me as it seems there is no cure for this. Will keep you posted, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: