Swollen Belly - Water Belly/Egg Bound?

JewelBirds

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 13, 2017
Hello,
I have a soon to be 2 year old ISA Brown hen (Scarlett). She molted a few months ago and hasn't started laying again. She was acting normal this morning and tonight I noticed she was breathing faster than usual. Her belly feels swollen and big. Everything I've read about it is something pretty bad so I'm feeling kind of scared for her right now. I'm not sure what it is exactly. I read something about water belly or ascites, egg bound, peritonitis, fatty liver, ovary cysts, tumors, etc. I'm going to get a vet for her tomorrow but I can't bring her anywhere tonight. What can I do for her in the meantime?
Edited to add: also, she is still pooping and it looks normal, although smaller amount than usual. Also, when I put my ear against her side I can hear a sound that sounds like stomach noises. Is this normal?

2 year old ISA Brown hen (Scarlett). She molted a few months ago and hasn't started laying again. She was acting normal this morning and tonight I noticed she was breathing faster than usual. Her belly feels swollen and big.
How is she today?
Was her crop empty this morning before she had anything to eat/drink?

She is doing better today. I watched a couple videos and drained some of the fluid that was in her belly/bottom area. Her crop was empty this morning. She has her appetite back as well and her breathing is back to normal. The following is a picture of the fluid that I extracted. Because of her improvement, I haven't called the vet for her yet, although I will at some point to make sure 1. the vets are experienced/know something about chickens/poultry and 2.to inquire about tests they could possibly do to find out what condition caused the swelling in the first place.
IMG_7542.JPG

I'm glad you were able to drain some of the fluid and she is doing better.
Sometimes a hen can do very well with some of the fluid removed. A lot depends on the cause - reproductive problems or something going on with the liver are a couple that are more common.
You may find the following information helpful. @coach723 tells about detox in one and @Hen Pen Jem may be able to chime in with some tips as well.

@coach723 post #9 https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...breath-if-you-hold-her.1284253/#post-20750855

She is doing better today. I watched a couple videos and drained some of the fluid that was in her belly/bottom area. Her crop was empty this morning. She has her appetite back as well and her breathing is back to normal. The following is a picture of the fluid that I extracted. Because of her improvement, I haven't called the vet for her yet, although I will at some point to make sure 1. the vets are experienced/know something about chickens/poultry and 2.to inquire about tests they could possibly do to find out what condition caused the swelling in the first place.
View attachment 1707099

How is she doing a few months down the road? Have you needed to drain her again?

Thank you. Unfortunately it was probably something that wouldn't have been able to be cured, at the very least, not easily. Although at this point I'll never know for sure. After her loss, I became more determined to make sure that my other chickens stay as healthy as possible. Not that I wasn't doing it before, but I let certain things slip, thinking it wasn't a big deal (feeding too much scratch - although I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't be feeding it all - or not doing daily/weekly checks on their overall health or appearance). Being proactive is the only way to prevent things that I have control over and then I feel more at peace knowing that I did everything I could have done for what I don't have control over.

Back
Top Bottom