older hen gasping for breath if you hold her

silkiemother

Crowing
Sep 14, 2018
east wenatchee
I have a 3 1/2 year old hen and whenever I pick her up, she instantly has a hard time breathing.And also whenever I flip her over on her back and check to see if she has any poop on her, she starts gasping also.does anyone have an idea about what this is?and also her stomach area feels as if there is jello or slime(the toy kind) in it.

I have a 3 1/2 year old hen and whenever I pick her up, she instantly has a hard time breathing.And also whenever I flip her over on her back and check to see if she has any poop on her, she starts gasping also.does anyone have an idea about what this is?and also her stomach area feels as if there is jello or slime(the toy kind) in it.
Well, first of all I would not turn her over and be careful how you pick her up.
Since these things cause respiratory distress, it would be better to stand her on a table for examinations.

Having an abdomen that feels like jello, I would lean toward her having a reproductive problem. Since she has trouble breathing, she may have Ascites (water belly) in addition to whatever else is going on - Internal Laying, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Salpingitis, cancer, tumors.
When did she last lay an egg?

If she is having trouble with a reproductive problem and has fluid in the belly, sometimes that can be drained to help give some relief short term. If you have vet care, that is always best, but some people do drain their own hens. This is not a cure, but can help prolong life and make her more comfortable. Sometimes antibiotics may be needed to help fight infection (again short term).
Check her crop regularly to make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks.

http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/

about a year ago.......

well I don't actually flip her over, I more carefully pick her up and turn her over and when I pick her up, I lean down down, and carefully lift her up till she is in my arms.
So she hasn't laid in about a year?

If she has a swollen belly, then when you pick her up try to support the abdomen the best you can. I know that's easier said than done, but if that's full of fluid, egg matter, etc., then it puts a strain on her. Chickens have air sacs in the abdomen and pressure on those (internally and externally) can cause respiratory distress.

I have a table in my run where I do all my examinations, I've found they are much more agreeable if they can stand/sit and my back sure feels better too:)
I don't want you to think I'm fussing about how you are holding, I understand you have to get a hold of her. I've had some with full-ish abdomens (cancer, egg masses) and I always felt it seemed to stress them unless I supported underneath them somehow when carrying them.

also right now her comb is pale and shriveled, could that possibly be an indicator that she is not feeling good?she is still the top female and also she does not seem to be in any pain when I feel her abdomen, unless she is hiding it very well.

also right now her comb is pale and shriveled, could that possibly be an indicator that she is not feeling good?she is still the top female and also she does not seem to be in any pain when I feel her abdomen, unless she is hiding it very well.

sorry, she is my only surviving hen of my original flock and she is my baby so I am worried about her.
A pale shriveled comb indicates she is not laying, could be because she is declining and not feeling well.
Do you have photos of her?

I have never had one indicate pain when I felt their abdomen. They do hide illness very well.
If the abdomen is filled with fluid or she starts to show respiratory distress even when not being held, try draining her or have the vet do it.
Sadly, this is usually a short term fix, it can keep them going for a good while longer.
@coach723 had some success with using a thistle detox(?) I keep forgetting to bookmark that information. She may be able to share that with you.

Right now, if she is doing o.k. then I would be inclined to leave her be and see how it goes. At least that's what I do with mine.

If she has a swollen belly, and it's fluid, then this (aloe detox - it contains a mixture of herbals) may help give some temporary relief.
http://www.lilyofthedesert.com/product/aloe-herbal-detox-formula/
You can get it on amazon, or other health food retailers. It has to be refrigerated once opened and is good for 6 months. I usually give 4 ml a day for up to 7 days, and it should be room temperature when given, so draw it up and let it warm before you give it. I use an oral syringe, put .5 ml in the front of the beak, let her swallow, then repeat until all is given. When symptoms recur, I do it again, there really isn't anything toxic in it, but I try not to stress them out too much since they are already dealing with a major health issue. I try to lift and hold them with the weight on their keel bone to reduce pressure on the abdomen and organs, and I generally don't put them on their backs since that can really make it hard for them to breath.
This may temporarily relieve her symptoms, but it does sound like there is an underlying issue that may not be treatable.
Most of mine have been salpingitis, one with reproductive cancer. This did help some with symptoms, but as said, it's temporary.

Back
Top Bottom