Swollen belly?

HenSolo84

Chirping
Oct 11, 2019
One of my 3 year old Amerecaunas has had what looks like a full, heavy underside for a couple months now. She has seemed slower than all the others but her comb has been bright so I didn't really think too much of it. Hasn't laid an egg since the spring and I figured she's just near the end of her laying days. The other night I was able to pick her up for the first time in forever and her belly was swollen and hard. It made me think we bound, but that would have killed her long ago, right?

She may have ascites.
So she's bloated underneath the vent and in between the legs?
Does she waddle when she walks?
Any labored breathing?
If she was egg bound she absolutely would not have lived this long, they can only survive for a couple of days if their egg bound.

She may have ascites.
So she's bloated underneath the vent and in between the legs?
Does she waddle when she walks?
Any labored breathing?
If she was egg bound she absolutely would not have lived this long, they can only survive for a couple of days if their egg bound.
Yes. I've noticed all that except the labored breathing.

Yes. I've noticed all that except the labored breathing.
She does have ascites, and there is no cure for it. The only thing you can do is drain her abdomen of fluids as a supportive care measure. Hens with ascites can live for sometime with draining, someone here on BYC had their hen live for 3 years with draining. I had a hen with ascites live for about 6 months, I did not drain but gave her a oregano cinnamon mixture.

She does have ascites, and there is no cure for it. The only thing you can do is drain her abdomen of fluids as a supportive care measure. Hens with ascites can live for sometime with draining, someone here on BYC had their hen live for 3 years with draining. I had a hen with ascites live for about 6 months, I did not drain but gave her a oregano cinnamon mixture.
Did she ever lay eggs again? Should this cause her to stop laying in the first place?

Ascites or internal laying or another similar type infection in that area.
They don't tend to kill fast so it is highly likely she's been sick for a long time before you even noticed.
There isn't much to do if it's been brewing for months.

Did she ever lay eggs again? Should this cause her to stop laying in the first place?
No... She must likely will not ever lay eggs again and yes infections in the reproductive system will cause them to stop laying.

The number one way to prevent these type of illnesses is to make sure the bird is not overfed treats.
A balanced diet helps prevent... So if you feed treats regularly, you should think about stopping.

Back
Top Bottom