Swollen breast on right side

AKRon

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
4.5 month old 2 Red Star hens, 2 R.I Red hens, 1 Turken Rooster. Rooster fine last night, this a.m. standing still, neck retracked. Let out of the pen for the morning run around and he wobbled, unbalanced, pecked but did not eat. Penned all up again and he once more went into standing in one place mode. 4 hours later he was dead. The hens have since developed enlarged right breasts but no other symptoms. Eating, drinking and foraging as normal when out in the yard. We provide commerical grit and egg layer feed in constant feeders. Clean 3 gallon water feeder that we moniter daily. Hens have ben laying since Aug 7, got 4 eggs today even. They have nice enclosed pen with straw floor with roof to provide shelter plus the coop where march up every night to roost.
Anyone know what this might be?

The crop is a storage area for food. Let me assure you that they can stuff a lot in there. My girls routinely look like they've swallowed baseballs before they go to bed at night! Just make sure that their crops are empty first thing in the morning or it could indicate an impaction.

Back
Top Bottom