Swollen cheek, bleeding through nostrils.

Pics

Chickenpuff75

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
Formosa, Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

I’m new here and new to ducklings/ducks. I’ve been reading through various posts regarding my duckling’s issue. Pickles is 4-5 wks old, along with Moose and Posie (who appear healthy). Last night (11pm) I noticed Pickles’ left cheek was swollen, but not so much that it shut his eye. I wiped his bill clean and made sure they had fresh, clean water. This morning, it had gotten worse, to the point that his eye was starting to shut and his lower bill/jaw is always open about a 1/8-1/4” and it’s skewed to the left side (a friend mentioned scissor beak, though my wife confirmed this only happened since his face started to swell). His left eye and both nostrils are weeping clear fluid. Traces of blood are mixed with the fluid weeping from his nostrils. He is still drinking (or attempting to drink), but he doesn’t cock his head back now. He’s not eating out of my hand but I mixed some dry feed with water in a separate dish and it was mostly empty when I came back an hour later and it didn’t seem like he had spilled it onto the bedding. He is resting a lot but still has energy to run away from me or “fight” me when I pick him up. And he’s chirping to his brother and sister as well (I’ve separated him into his own brooder put right beside the other one). I have pictures showing left/right/top sides and a 20 sec video but I don’t think I can post them until I hit the minimum number of posts. I’m currently waiting to hear back from a local vet but he is not a duck expert. From reading posts here, my guess is that it’s an infection and baytril antibiotic was suggested. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if there are questions I need to answer. I forget what type they are, we just call them “roasted marshmallows” because they will be a mottled brown.
Thanks in advance and sorry if I didn’t do this the right way.
6012BDA4-8503-423D-8788-8F0DD9E11650.jpeg
5DEA9110-F221-4B7D-BF0D-532E585FE0CA.jpeg
FCC0A78E-5F1A-40EB-9975-56ADC93834D2.jpeg
F0031EF3-E36D-41BD-80C3-A6A08354430E.jpeg
45CA4BE8-BEE8-4B57-9301-E4EEC0B859F3.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC sounds like an infection or is there a possibility he got snake bit?

Can you get him to a vet?
No snake. They are still indoors, so I really hope it’s not a snake. Just spoke to the vet who suggested amoxicillin (baytril is too strong). So that’s what we plan on trying. Mixing it into his water dish and let him drink on his own (vs forcing it via eye dropper or syringe and risking choking him). Still and advice is welcome.

Hi all,

I’m new here and new to ducklings/ducks. I’ve been reading through various posts regarding my duckling’s issue. Pickles is 4-5 wks old, along with Moose and Posie (who appear healthy). Last night (11pm) I noticed Pickles’ left cheek was swollen, but not so much that it shut his eye. I wiped his bill clean and made sure they had fresh, clean water. This morning, it had gotten worse, to the point that his eye was starting to shut and his lower bill/jaw is always open about a 1/8-1/4” and it’s skewed to the left side (a friend mentioned scissor beak, though my wife confirmed this only happened since his face started to swell). His left eye and both nostrils are weeping clear fluid. Traces of blood are mixed with the fluid weeping from his nostrils. He is still drinking (or attempting to drink), but he doesn’t cock his head back now. He’s not eating out of my hand but I mixed some dry feed with water in a separate dish and it was mostly empty when I came back an hour later and it didn’t seem like he had spilled it onto the bedding. He is resting a lot but still has energy to run away from me or “fight” me when I pick him up. And he’s chirping to his brother and sister as well (I’ve separated him into his own brooder put right beside the other one). I have pictures showing left/right/top sides and a 20 sec video but I don’t think I can post them until I hit the minimum number of posts. I’m currently waiting to hear back from a local vet but he is not a duck expert. From reading posts here, my guess is that it’s an infection and baytril antibiotic was suggested. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if there are questions I need to answer. I forget what type they are, we just call them “roasted marshmallows” because they will be a mottled brown.
Thanks in advance and sorry if I didn’t do this the right way.View attachment 2183872View attachment 2183873View attachment 2183874View attachment 2183875View attachment 2183877
I hope you can get him started on antibiotic ASAP. Poor little one.

Back
Top Bottom