swollen chick

Quote:
LOL...you know, after reading this I got a horrible mental image of someone poking me saying OH NO, she is swollen!!!

Sorry....yes, please post a pic with another of the flock...it would help a lot. How is the little one doing?

Sorry for the delay in replying.. its been busy!

Every day I got out twice a day to check on the chicks and fuss over them but seem to run out
of time to post!

Well my news is good, I think.. she is better.. This weekend I took another hard look at her and
she felt more like full of air than fluid. When I felt her the first time, it really felt like fluid, not air. My husband was holding her for me the first time so maybe it was my lack of experiance or his holding her not mine?

anyways..
She was sitting under the heat lamp with the rest of the chicks looking so fat.. her little head
was back since the chest was so puffed up. I picked her up and felt her all over, it definatly felt like air under the skin, in her chest and legs, and back.

I gently checked her all over.. see nothing wrong, her bottom (vent? area) looks good, nice and clean and normal seeming.. she eats and drinks with the others and I have seen her poop too.

After I checked her and put her down, she looked better, smaller? It seemed my pressing and such
made the air go down?

Anyways.. she has looked better each day and today I could hardly tell what chick was the "sick" one.
I still have the antiboitic in their water.

I dont know what to think on what was wrong or if it will come back or what??

I had a chick full of air just a couple of weeks ago. I took a 20 guage needle and syringe and sucked it out. It worked and I can't tell wich cick it was now. Come to think of it it happened during cold weather so I didn't notice it right away because they were all ruffled up trying to stay warm.

This still doesn't sound good....it could mean a number of health problems.....
at least my experience in people would lead me to think this was a bad thing...
like:
peritoneal or subcutaneous infection leading to gas production
an esophageal tear leaking air into body cavity....
?????
I would worry if it were my chick....maybe try getting in touch with dlhunicorn....Diana in New Zealand, snmpoultry or some of the other long time people on the forum.
well wishes from florida
nj

Is it possible that the chick was injured (rough handling, fall of perch, anything else) in such a way that an air sac was ruptured. I have read of this happening, producing exactly the result you describe (google re: "subcutaneous emphysema" in chicks) although I have zero actual knowledge of it.

If so, my understanding is that you sort of wait til it fixes itself.

Pat

that would make sense....at least with the symptoms they were describing.
gosh, there is so much that can go wrong, especially with something so little!!
good luck and keep us in touch
-nj
hugs.gif

Hello again,

So far the chick is doing very well. I'm not sure what chick it was now by looking at them all.
So its much much better.

As far as the injury possiblitiy, it might have injured itself as it was limping a little the first
day I noticed it acting funny and swollen. I dont know of how but perhaps that was the start.

All the girls are doing well, very funny and all eating and drinking and running around like
normal. So I think we are okay now! I hope..

thanks so much for all the posts, advice and support. This is such a nice and active forum.
Great for us so new to chickens!

Back
Top Bottom