Swollen chicken feet, missing toenails?

SmahtFahm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 30, 2009
North Central, MA
Just came across one of my girls in the coop--she's a year old White Wyandotte with very swollen toes on both feet and only one toenail on each foot. I wish I could take a pic, but the camera is currently broken. At first I thought it was bumblefoot, but it doesn't match the description and pics I've seen. The swelling is uniform on both feet--she just has little sausages for toes and no toenails (except one on one foot). Frostbite, maybe? I checked my flock and nobody else seem to have it, can't figure out if it's maybe a genetic problem that I never noticed amongst the 40 hens (unlikely) or if she's truly got a problem. She seems to be eating and drinking fine, sticking near the coop and can't scratch, obviously. Any ideas?

We live in North Central Massachusetts, have a flock of 40 chickens. They roam free on 1/3 acre, fenced in, and share space with ducks. The coop has a wooden floor (with linoleum covering it for easy cleaning) straw on the floor, shavings in the nesting boxes. The whole area has 3+ feet of snow, but the immediate area around the chicken coop and duck pen is melting, consisting of ice (lots of it, ugh!) and poop. I lay straw down on it occasionally for more traction and to "soak" up some of the ick.

I recently treated a hen like that. She probably has a bad case of scaly leg mites. First I soaked the chickens feet in soapy water. Then I picked off the dead skin with tweezers, have Blood Stop Powder on hand when you do this. Finally I thoroughly coated the feet and legs in Antibacterial Wound Coat Spray and wrapped the feet and legs in Vet Wrap. Take the bandage off the legs the following day and spread a thick coat of Vaseline on the chickens legs and feet. This will suffocate any of the remaining parasites if she has any. After You put the Vaseline on make sure to rebandage the feet otherwise the chicken will pick the feet making all the work you just did worthless. I have owned chickens for the better part of eight years now and I have seen my share of weird chicken ailments. I wish you luck. Keep me updated.

Back
Top Bottom