swollen chicken

2004siera

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
A few days ago one of our exbat chickens was so swollen all over her abdomen an chest - it all looked sort of bluish and so uncomfortable that we put her down. I thought it was a stuck egg that had got very infected that i hadn't spotted...
Today however , i see another chicken with what looks like the same thing starting but the swelling is in her chest - all swollen, watery feeling and turning that weird bluish colour.
They both were found outside looking sorry for themselves. Could this be a virus? - it seems an odd coincidence to have the same thing so soon after the last one. We have had them since June.
Anyone help? i can't feel an egg or hardness - just watery swelling that makes them swell like balloons....

welcome-byc.gif
I'm sorry to hear about your sick hens. The fluid in the abdomen makes me think of Ascites or internal laying. Those problems are common in older production chickens. Or, I suppose it could be some sort of infection. Have you tried using a syringe and needle to try and remove some of the liquid? I would perhaps purchase a strong antibiotic, like Tylan50 injectable, and treat them for infection.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm sorry to hear about your sick hens. The fluid in the abdomen makes me think of Ascites or internal laying. Those problems are common in older production chickens. Or, I suppose it could be some sort of infection. Have you tried using a syringe and needle to try and remove some of the liquid? I would perhaps purchase a strong antibiotic, like Tylan50 injectable, and treat them for infection.

X2. However, I believe that Ascites if usually an accumulation in the body cavity near the vent/abdomen, not near the chest.

I would worry about a contagious disease. I would probably isolate the hen showing symptoms. Erysipelas can cause hemorrhage into organs of the abdomen and chest, but there are probably others. If you have a veterinarian or can get a necropsy done, I probably would check into it.

Back
Top Bottom