swollen chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2004siera, Oct 9, 2013.

1. 2004siera

2004siera New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    A few days ago one of our exbat chickens was so swollen all over her abdomen an chest - it all looked sort of bluish and so uncomfortable that we put her down. I thought it was a stuck egg that had got very infected that i hadn't spotted...
    Today however , i see another chicken with what looks like the same thing starting but the swelling is in her chest - all swollen, watery feeling and turning that weird bluish colour.
    They both were found outside looking sorry for themselves. Could this be a virus? - it seems an odd coincidence to have the same thing so soon after the last one. We have had them since June.
    Anyone help? i can't feel an egg or hardness - just watery swelling that makes them swell like balloons....

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm sorry to hear about your sick hens. The fluid in the abdomen makes me think of Ascites or internal laying. Those problems are common in older production chickens. Or, I suppose it could be some sort of infection. Have you tried using a syringe and needle to try and remove some of the liquid? I would perhaps purchase a strong antibiotic, like Tylan50 injectable, and treat them for infection.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2. However, I believe that Ascites if usually an accumulation in the body cavity near the vent/abdomen, not near the chest.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would worry about a contagious disease. I would probably isolate the hen showing symptoms. Erysipelas can cause hemorrhage into organs of the abdomen and chest, but there are probably others. If you have a veterinarian or can get a necropsy done, I probably would check into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by