Swollen comb on my Rooster

ThePinkCoop

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
Kansas
I can rule out frostbite, mites, damage and infection. Anyone have any idea why Raymon's comb looks like the hamburger helper glove? While we did have some nasty cold days, and a couple of the other boys had a touch of frostbite, I was able to stay on top of it and prevent severe damage. He has been bullied, and is just now trying to regrow his tail feathers, but there are no marks, cuts, pecks or spots where his comb would have been hurt. He is tame and I have checked him for mites, and even put a pan of DE in the coop when snow was on the ground and they weren't able to dust themselves. Not knowing for sure if it could be an injury I can't see, I put him on antibiotics for a month, with no change. I know I am missing something. Anyone have any clue?

It is warm, but more like body temperature warm. And we haven't had any bugs out until just this week. He has been like this for a couple months. I did see a spider in the coop, but as soon as the feather kids saw it, it was no more.

So, you have (probably) ruled out infection and injury. That leaves allergy and body system failure (this isn't necessarily as grim as it sounds, so don't panic). Did you change anything around the time that this showed up? Could he have an allergy to something new-ish in his environment?

I have to admit that my first thought is that he got bitten/stung by something or has a hematoma, but if this has been present for over a month then that rules out these things. A hematoma would have resolved before now unless he has a circulatory issue. A bite/sting would have gone down except for the same reasons.

I am thinking he has an allergy or a circulatory issue. If it is a circulatory issue then it may be reserved to the comb due to the inflammation. Sometimes swelling interferes with the body's ability to deal with swelling because of the swelling. Ironic, eh? Sometimes swelling pinches off parts of the lymphatic system, which is responsible for removing infection, dead cells and wastes. A break/back-up/damage in the lymphatic system can lead to swelling in the affected area.

What are your thoughts on this, ThePinkCoop? Is he healthy other than the comb thing? Aside from being a bit threadbare he looks fairly healthy in the pics.

Other than looking like hes wearing an inflated glove on his head, hes as healthy as can be. Eating, drinking, and even doing his little rooster dance for the ladies. Of course, this has been going on for a couple months so his actions seem normal to me, but they also seem normal in general. I just thought I would toss this out there and see if I was missing something. Hubby is a Paramedic so I will see if he will attempt to lance it. I just don't know if that is the best thing to do since is doesn't block his breathing and doesn't seem to be a health issue to his activities.

Oh, and nothing new that I can think of that would be an allergen. Watch. I will be the only person in history that has a chicken that is allergic to chickens!!

I think I would leave it be. As long as he seems healthy and happy I would think of it as strictly a cosmetic issue and let it go. I don't see the point in slicing up a bird unless you are sure there is actually a problem.

I know this is an older thread, but I was wondering the outcome of the rooster? I have a hen that has the exact same problem, swollen comb and no injury too it. She has been on antibiotics from the vet thinking she had an infection but multiple rounds and multiple types have not helped the swelling.

Back
Top Bottom