Swollen craw

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by denabry, Sep 10, 2014.

1. denabry

denabry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    I have 52 chickens. Several have swollen craws. How do I treat so many chickens?? At least 6 are like that. One severely swollen. What causes it? We give them laying pellets and scratch and occasionally I have fresh fruit or veggies for them. We provide fresh water everyday. I add polyvisol and ACV too.
    Don't know what I'm doing wrong!

2. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    do you mean swollen crops? crops are wear there food goes. if your not sure post a picture of one or two and i'll tell you.

3. denabry

Sep 10, 2014
    Yep. That's what I meant. I'll snap a pic in the morning and post it. Thanks

4. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    yeah the crop swells because the food is in there and thats what starts the egg laying process. So the more feed they eat the bigger it gets.

5. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Lot of wet foods, apple sauce, olive oil, even water down some of the regular feed. Also you can massage the lump to help break it up so it moves onto the next stage of digestion. Do they get lots of grass or wild greens? I've heard or read ( can't remember ) that old greens, tough fibrous grass or dandelion can cause this ( just hard to break up )... Just a thought. Good luck

6. denabry

Sep 10, 2014
    No they've cleared all the grass out. Just laying pellets and scratch.

7. hennible

Well it was worth a try. Wonder why then....

8. hennible

9. hennible

Sorry one more post. Could they have eaten any string or anything " string like "? Stuff like that gets stuck ( like the old grass ). Or sometimes they over load on dirt an grit ( rare ) and that's what blocks the crop up.

10. denabry

Sep 10, 2014
    [​IMG]
    This is the worst one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by