Swollen ear lobe/infection. Unsure.

Apr 19, 2020
My hen who's just over a year old developed this swollen lump on her ear lobe last week.
I've checked inside her ears and they seem normal and she hasn't got any spots anywhere else on her so it doesn't seem to be any things like fowl pox or ear infection.

She is still acting normal and laying eggs but the lump is slowly getting bigger.
We'll take her to the vet soon if we can't figure anything out and it keeps getting worse.

Here's a photo. Thanks for help:)
IMG_20200420_084045.jpg

Can you see a vet in case you need an antibiotic? Chickens can get ear infections from viruses, bacteria, fungus, or mites. If you can open her ear and get any crust off, you could put some hydrogen peroxide in her ear and let it bubble a bit. Then clean it out with QTips. Then put some plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment into the ear canal. That would smother mites and help if it is bacterial. Most antibiotics are only available from vets.

Can you see a vet in case you need an antibiotic? Chickens can get ear infections from viruses, bacteria, fungus, or mites. If you can open her ear and get any crust off, you could put some hydrogen peroxide in her ear and let it bubble a bit. Then clean it out with QTips. Then put some plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment into the ear canal. That would smother mites and help if it is bacterial. Most antibiotics are only available from vets.

Thank you. Yes we'll try to get to the vet asap for antibiotics and a check.
I looked inside her ear and it seems to be normal. Only the outside of her earlobe seems the problem.

Back
Top Bottom