Swollen eye with hard dried puss

Chicken has the same thing, She lost her eye, but appears to be growing a replacement hard pus still stuck as a covering, but i dont know whether to remove the hard pus covering or leave it until something New pushes it out? Vete gave me antibiótic. Any suggestion?

She scratches at it must be painful , looks like something poked her eye, bought her like this trying to save her

Chicken puss is hard and cottage cheese like. It has to come out. I would do a super warm compress for maybe ten minutes or so and use sterilized tweezers to get that junk out. Keep saline wash near by and Terramycin ointment.
In my case the infection went into her sinuses, so make sure you check her nostrils are clean and open so she can breath.

The best thing is to get the eye really cleaned out of pus. Treating the eye by using saline to flush it, Qtips or tweezers along with squeezing to get any gunk out, and applying an antibiotic ointment (Terramycin, Vetropolycin) twice a day may help. Eyes can become infected from peck wounds or injuries, foreign bodies in the eye, and from respiratory diseases such as coryza or MG. A respiratory disease can cause sneeze, cough, nasal drainage, wheezing or chest rattles, and may also need an oral antibiotic such as Tylan 50 injectable used orally. Here is a good thread by a person who has treated this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...welling-cure-treatment.1156995/#post-18155569

Been giving her terramycin orally and externally. Also penicillin and vitamins, looks better but still swollen, i been rinsing it out with warm water and the hard puss has almost fallen out.

Would you mind posting a current pic?
It shouldn't just be a hole. They have a third eyelid that you should see.

Vet says antibiotics should do. Bought her from a stranger Who didnt take care of his chickens, said something must ve poked her

Attachments

• 20171010_120737.jpg
    20171010_120737.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 1507655473077-994117768.jpg
    1507655473077-994117768.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 48

Back
Top Bottom