Swollen eye?

Silkiechicken66

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2016
So this morning, my golden pheasant was fine other than wheezing which has been bothering him but vet said it wasn’t deadly and would go away. Came back from church to his eye very swollen and his beak slightly ajar.
6C188DD5-FC67-4A40-913B-49912E658D50.jpeg

There is a TINY piece of food in the corner of his eye that I wiped away. I cleaned the area with warm water. Could that have caused this? The possibilities to me is the food, respiratory, or maybe someone pecked it or he rubbed it but I don’t know what would cause this amount of swelling. I can move his eyelid down and his eye is not affected at all and he can see.
439B9C66-E38C-4835-B32A-9262C67CFD72.jpeg
I plan on calling the vet tomorrow and taking him, just wanting some insight.

Hope you're able to go to the vet tomorrow, because that looks like it might be a sinus infection, for which treatment is often lancing, pus removal, and antibiotics. Since the beak is ajar, I suspect I might be best to lance it.

I'm not a vet, but I think the most common causes are respiratory disease, a bacterial infection from a foreign body (like a piece of food) getting wedged up their choanal slit, or a bacterial infection from drinking dirty water.

Hope you're able to go to the vet tomorrow, because that looks like it might be a sinus infection, for which treatment is often lancing, pus removal, and antibiotics. Since the beak is ajar, I suspect I might be best to lance it.

I'm not a vet, but I think the most common causes are respiratory disease, a bacterial infection from a foreign body (like a piece of food) getting wedged up their choanal slit, or a bacterial infection from drinking dirty water.
Thank you! I love this vet, as he has always fit me in the same day. Im going to keep the eye clean, and monitor it for any changes toll then.

He is being treated with antibiotics for sinus/upper respiratory but we suspect something else. It’s a virus but I can’t remember the exact name. He’s going to have a small set up in my room, constant cleaning of eyes and nose, and antibiotics twice a day by syringe.

Back
Top Bottom