Swollen eyelid and swollen flesh around eye

What was your dosage for your chicken? I've got a welsummer doing the exact same thing and I see you gave her 1/2cc but was that once or twice a day?

Also did you notice the ointment doing anything for here before the antibiotics?

It appears I will be making my way to TSC tonight to pick up some Tylan 50...

Thank you

I did give her 1/2cc once a day. I was told to do it for 5-7days so I did it for 6 days. Im not sure if the ointment was helping as I was doing it at the same time so I just continued to do both just in case. Good luck with your chicken. Let me know how it goes.

Thank you for replying so quickly!

Monday, July 9, 2012 @ 7:00pm ^

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 @ 8:30am ^

Did your BR start off like this? Also did you treat the rest of your flock or did anybody else show signs of this? I'm thinking I'm going to give a small dose (maybe 1/4 cc or the 1/10cc?) just to be safe with the rest of them?

She started off exactly like that. I only treated her and she is doing great no signs of reswelling or sickness since. And no, no other chicken ever showed any symptoms at all.

Hi, thanks for this thread about a swollen eyelid. My red star hen has a swollen eyelid, though not a swollen as the birds above in the thread. She cannot open it, I suspect from injury as there are no bubbles, puss, etc. I just noticed it yesterday when I noticed her eye seemed irritated with a few tiny little spots on it that looked like scabs, and today it is worse, the scabs are gone, but she is now lethargic and not moving around much. I found her sleeping on the floor of their little coop by herself while the others were milling about pecking and finding bugs this evening.

All I have here is Calumet and triple antibiotic ointment. I put some ointment in her eye and she opened it and tried to use it for a few moments, I suspect it was temporarily relieved by the ointment. I got her to eat a little yogurt, a couple of mealworms, and some water with nutra-drench vitamins in it.

I am not sure if there is something else going on or if she is dehydrated and hungry from not being able to find her way around. Any thoughts would be helpful. I suspect I will go to TSC first thing in the morning to pick up the other medication suggestions from this thread.

Thanks, Anne in Oldham County KY

Could you please tell me were you got Tylan from as I am trying to get hold of it but I can only seem to find it in the USA and I'm in the uk ? Thanks
Just keep an eye on it. My one pullet started with these same symptoms, then 2 days later got bubbles in the eye, so at that point i knew it wasn't just a peck to the eye. I actually gave Tylan over 5 days and everything cleared up nicely.

I have the same problem with my banty. I just purchased the medicine last night from TSC and am not sure how much I should administer to her (since she is a banty)?

Hello, I know this thread is old but I have a similar issue with one of our young hens. I am fairly certain her eye injury was caused by pecking by her buddy who turned out to be a rooster and I had caught him pecking at her head and body the same day I noticed her eye was extremely swollen and puffy along her eye bridge and it caused her eyelid to droop a bit but after several days the swelling disappeared . The past few days I have noticed the swelling starting to slightly come back and now notice lower eyelid drooping with some bubbles in it. I applied the terramycin ointment tonight and am wondering if there is somthing else I should do? Will she need oral/injectable antitbiotics?

Back
Top Bottom