Swollen Foot

njwalter2004

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 24, 2013
Hello,
I am hoping someone can help me figure out what is wrong with my hens foot and maybe give me some ideas on what to do to help her before it gets any worse.

I first noticed her foot getting swollen about 2 days ago because when she is standing she tends to keep that foot up which is unusual for hens. Because we have had a few foot issues with hens through out the last couple years most of them have just gone away within a day or 2. I have waited a couple days and it looks more swollen then it did 2 days ago. The swelling is mainly in the webbing of her feet and not on her toes.

When she is walking she is still walking on that foot and it doesn't seem to hurt her. There is not any penetration spots anywhere on the foot like she cut her foot, other then her foot she seems like her normal self eating and drinking normally.

Any ideas and advise on what we can do for this is greatly appreciated. I have pictures of her foot attached.

Thank You

Nicole

Wish you could get a closer pic of that foot, both top and bottom. At first glance I'm thinking the start of bumblefoot, but really can't tell...pic is too far away.

I agree with Iwiw60 that it may be bumblefoot, a staph infection which usually affects the foot pad, but it can appear on the top of the feet between the toes as well. She needs bumblefoot surgery, I'm afraid. You can soak her foot in warm epsom salts, and look it over while you study up on the surgery and get some supplies, but don't wait more than a couple of days. Below is a similar worse case of bumblefoot affecting the top of the foot, and what the bottom looks like. Disposable scalpels are available in farm stores such as TSC in the cattle meds which are great to use because they are sharp and cut tissue very easily. Knives just don't work as well. Here are some links with videos of the surgery:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/how-to-treat-bumblefoot-in-chickens.aspx

4428614.jpg
3361693.jpg

Thank you for your replies! I greatly appreciate it.

I agree it does look like the pictures and links you have shared with me. Here are the pictures zoomed in. I will get a closer picture of the foot as well as the bottom of her foot and in the morning and post them. Also I'm thinking I should put her into our quarantine cage to keep her safe for now, am I correct?

I really don't think there's any need to quarantine her yet. It might just add to the stress of the problem with her foot. Chickens need 'company' .... I'll watch for your closeup pics.

So trying to get pictures of her foot was not any fun at all :) I did the best I could but the picture of the bottom of her foot is blurry. If you can't see it good enough, I will try to get a picture with my big camera. Her foot does have a very small black "scab" looking thing like bumble foot is known for though.

If it is bumble foot and we have to do the surgery, I have a couple questions. First off she is a VERY skidish bird and doesn't like to be held at all like the rest of our hens. Also I read you cannot use most numbing meds or pain meds for them, do you do the procedure without anything then, it just seems mean to me to do it without anything, but I know she will die without the procedure if this is really what she has.

So trying to get pictures of her foot was not any fun at all :) I did the best I could but the picture of the bottom of her foot is blurry. If you can't see it good enough, I will try to get a picture with my big camera. Her foot does have a very small black "scab" looking thing like bumble foot is known for though.

If it is bumble foot and we have to do the surgery, I have a couple questions. First off she is a VERY skidish bird and doesn't like to be held at all like the rest of our hens. Also I read you cannot use most numbing meds or pain meds for them, do you do the procedure without anything then, it just seems mean to me to do it without anything, but I know she will die without the procedure if this is really what she has.

Oh, yeah....that's bumblefoot alright! See that black scab thing...bumblefoot for sure. Have you read the page I sent you?

Iwiw,
First off thank you so much for your help. I thought it looked like a bumble foot scab but wanted a second opinion.

Yes, I have read through the article you have sent me a few times actually. I will be heading out to Tractor Supply shortly and be picking up all the items I will need to do the surgery. The scab doesn't look that bad yet but it does look swollen, so I am thinking I may have caught it early.

In your opinion should I clean the whole thing out or just lance the scab, put the vetericyn on, cover it, and closely watch it to see if she will need the full cleaning of the foot? I tried calling the vet we use for our cats and they were not willing to call me in the metacam for pain or give me any advise at all, it doesn't sound like I will be able to find anything else to help her with pain either. It is going to be heart breaking to do the procedure without anything for numbing or pain for her though.

Iwiw,
First off thank you so much for your help. I thought it looked like a bumble foot scab but wanted a second opinion.

Yes, I have read through the article you have sent me a few times actually. I will be heading out to Tractor Supply shortly and be picking up all the items I will need to do the surgery. The scab doesn't look that bad yet but it does look swollen, so I am thinking I may have caught it early.

In your opinion should I clean the whole thing out or just lance the scab, put the vetericyn on, cover it, and closely watch it to see if she will need the full cleaning of the foot? I tried calling the vet we use for our cats and they were not willing to call me in the metacam for pain or give me any advise at all, it doesn't sound like I will be able to find anything else to help her with pain either. It is going to be heart breaking to do the procedure without anything for numbing or pain for her though.
First and foremost have someone else there with you to do the surgery. It helps to have someone there. Make sure you get VetWrap, too. Follow Chicken Chick's method and you should be alright. Be prepared for LOTS of gucky stuff to come out...get over that and look for that kernel. That's the key to bumblefoot removal, getting that kernel. Most of that swelling you see on her foot is a lot of pus and guck in there. Believe it or not your hen will not really feel anything...their feet are pretty tough. You don't want to just lance it, spray Vetericyn on it and call it good. You need to get that kernel out. Once you do, then make sure it's really clean, spray with Vetericyn, put a gauze pad over the bottom of the foot and wrap it with VetWrap.

Let me know how it goes and I wish you all the very best!
frow.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom