Swollen hens eye

Chik_8

Chirping
Jan 1, 2022
I’ve recently noticed my sweet buff Orpington hen has gotten a very swollen eye only on one side. I gave it about a week or two considering it was maybe a bug bite of some type and it only got worse. I will insert some pictures but it has not gotten worse nor better. It does not feel filled of any liquid just swelled skin. I have hot heard of this or seen it before so if anyone has some ideas I would be so happy to hear. Im not sure what to do from here on out but if anyone has any feedback I will appreciate it.

Attachments

• 77EE6B08-72CC-4428-B657-8BB1B610158C.jpeg
    77EE6B08-72CC-4428-B657-8BB1B610158C.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 2F5F6366-170F-48B0-9886-CFFDA2A3E01A.jpeg
    2F5F6366-170F-48B0-9886-CFFDA2A3E01A.jpeg
    623 KB · Views: 2
That is a common place for swelling when there is a respiratory disease or sinus infection from MG. But pecks to the face, stings, or something getting stuck in the eye may also be possible. Have you seen any bubbles or foam in the eye, sneezing, or lethargic behavior? You can get Terramycin eye ointment at some feed stores, or use plain Neosporin ointment twice a day in the eye after cleaning any drainage or crust from the eye area. If that doesn’t help, Tylan 50 or Tylosin powder may be used orally for treatment of MG.

That is a common place for swelling when there is a respiratory disease or sinus infection from MG. But pecks to the face, stings, or something getting stuck in the eye may also be possible. Have you seen any bubbles or foam in the eye, sneezing, or lethargic behavior? You can get Terramycin eye ointment at some feed stores, or use plain Neosporin ointment twice a day in the eye after cleaning any drainage or crust from the eye area. If that doesn’t help, Tylan 50 or Tylosin powder may be used orally for treatment of MG.
I have not seen any discharge or bubbles at all. She acts completely fine, she lays(as shown doing), eats well, forages, and is very present with the flock. Definitely no problems with behavior. Thank you for your help! I will see if these things work for her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom