Swollen Hocks Symptoms

bloobirdies

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2017
I have a Swedish Flower Rooster that is totally free range & hen house.
For about 2-3 weeks he has had swelling in his foot but no cuts so I've ruled out bumble foot.
When I thought it was bumble foot, I went to the feed store to get antibiotic but they don't sell it anymore.
I bought medicated chick feed instead and have been giving them that for about 2-3 weeks.
He limps every once in a while, crows just fine, active just fine but chickens seem to fake fine a lot so they appear strong.
Think he would be dead by now if it was sickness.
He did have frostbite on the tips of his comb about a month ago, but it is growing out now.
And his feathers look a little sparse in the middle of his back, but can't see the skin or anything.
Gout? But thought he might be walking around like he's drunk.
Sprain? Vitamin Deficiency?
PIC: Swelling in his right ankle and left middle finger
Any help would be appreciated and thank you for taking the time to do so!
17309576_10212799063881062_2139069097256596334_n.jpg

Oral antibiotics don't work on bumblefoot.
Medicated feed contains a coccidiastat like amprolium, which is a thiamine blocker, to prevent coccidia from completing its life cycle.

If no wounds, it is most likely gout.
How old is he and how long has he been eating layer feed?
What other things are you feeding?
Protein percentage (visceral gout) and calcium percentage (articular gout)?

If kidney damage, there can be 2 of the 6 kidney segments still functioning and the bird will still appear healthy. When one of the remaining 2 segments fails, death can happen within 24 hours.

Last edited:
I would also look at the possibility of mycoplasma synoviae causing his swelling in his ankles. They sometimes will limp and and sometimes will develop blisters or scabs on their breasts from lying around on the ground and not roosting. Look at his hock joints as well for swelling. Tylan 50 injectable is can be used to treat MS.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Chicken Canoe - He is 3-4 yrs old, completely free range, give him high protein layer pellets, scratch, & dry cat food for extra protein each day. Hunch it may be gout but he doesn't walk around like he is drunk. Looked into nutritional deficiencies & thought that may be the case but because I had him on medicated chic feed for 2-3 weeks, thought it would have cured it by now. Please advise...thank you!

Eggcessive - The Tylan 50 injectable, is this so for chickens or for other farm animals, but just use it for chickens. If so how much? The antibiotics for chickens off the markket, it is difficult to find a solution- I could take him to the avian vet, but it is expensive & a free range rooster is a gamble on a day to day basis. Please advise...thank you too!

I have a friend that will be giving me some of her stashed antibiotic tomorrow & going to start soaking in empson salt each day & put triple antibiotic on them. What do you think?

Last edited:
I don't advocate using antibiotics unless you have an idea of what is wrong. Tylan is usually given 50 mg for a 5 lb chicken twice a day for 5 days for treatment of mycoplasma in chickens. It can be given by injection or orally. Tylan is used in chickens pretty often in chickens, mainly for mycoplasma in respiratory and in joint infections.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Chicken Canoe - He is 3-4 yrs old, completely free range, give him high protein layer pellets, scratch, & dry cat food for extra protein each day. Hunch it may be gout but he doesn't walk around like he is drunk. Looked into nutritional deficiencies & thought that may be the case but because I had him on medicated chic feed for 2-3 weeks, thought it would have cured it by now. Please advise...thank you!

Eggcessive - The Tylan 50 injectable, is this so for chickens or for other farm animals, but just use it for chickens. If so how much? The antibiotics for chickens off the markket, it is difficult to find a solution- I could take him to the avian vet, but it is expensive & a free range rooster is a gamble on a day to day basis. Please advise...thank you too!

I have a friend that will be giving me some of her stashed antibiotic tomorrow & going to start soaking in empson salt each day & put triple antibiotic on them. What do you think?

I see a few problems. Too much protein and too much calcium. Adult roosters can get along just fine on about 14% protein. More than that, if they're not molting is a waste and literally ends up in the waste. Trouble is, the excess has to be processed by the liver and kidneys. Same goes for calcium. Anything more than about 2% calcium can cause kidney problems. At that age, and if he has been eating layer feed most of his life, gout is to be expected.
As I said in my first post, medicated chick feed doesn't cure any illness. The medication is amprolium. Besides that, the chick feed is high protein. More than he needs.

The Epsom salt soak is a good idea but I wouldn't use the antibiotics. If you don't know what the problem is, antibiotics aren't prescribed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom