Swollen, infected chick! What to do?

Dutchgirl

Not Dutch!
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A.
I found a chick a few minutes ago that was limping and trying to find its mother and fellow siblings, who had wandered off around the corner. Further investigation revealed that, under the chick's wing, is a huge lump. It is fairly squishy and pains the chick to press on it.

The only clue is a tiny scratch (or possibly bite mark) on the lump. This, I think, caused the infection and swelling. It could have been a scratch from a plant, a spider bite, a peck or scratch from another bird, or even an animal bite. Though I think it's unlikely, a skunk may have done it. Our dog came in smelling as if he'd walked through a recent skunk spray.

So what can be done? Should we cull the chick or try to help it?

How old is the chick? Personally, i would try to help. Can you bring it in and put it under a heat lamp? Can you get it to a vet? If not, you may want to poke the lump and see if you can squeeze any of the liquid out.
I'm really not sure how old the chick is... it was hatched sometime in December, I think. It's mostly feathered out.

Someone's trying to get a heat lamp right now.

Yes, we may try squeezing it. Seems to work with dogs, so it ought to work with chicks, eh?

The swollen part is all over his left side and completely covering his hip. I'm worried that the chick may be dead tomorrow morning.

I would guess that draining it would help,(but I don't have a lot of experience) and some antibiotics; you'll have to search around this site to find antibiotic recommendations and dosages for such a young chick.

It was put out of its misery on Monday after it was getting no better and we could not drain it.

Back
Top Bottom