Swollen Leg, Band Too Tight?

fuzzi

She Who Brings Grapes
Premium Feather Member
Apr 5, 2022
Pitt County, NC
My Coop
My Coop
When I got home from work today one of my bantam cockerels was up on a roost, not putting weight on his right foot, and panting. He's 16 weeks old.

My first thought was bumble foot, I've read about it here on BYC. So I got a small container of warm water, added epsom salts, grabbed an old bath towel and went out to try to soak his foot.

I wrapped him in the towel, sat down on a chair with him on my lap. I placed his foot in the warm water. He seemed startled, then sat quiet for about 10 minutes. Both of his feet looked and felt the same. They didn't appear swollen.

However I noticed that his right leg was swollen, and his band was tight. I had my son hold the bird while I cut off the band.

So I'm wondering now if the band caused the swelling or the swelling made the band tight.

None of the other bantams are having issues with the bands. They're silicone, soft, and have been expanding with no issues.

IMG_20230619_173413993~2.jpg

IMG_20230619_174429266~2.jpg

His feet appear fine, not swollen, I didn't see any signs of injury.

Anyone else have something similar happen?

I use the tiny zip ties, more a bracelet than snug when I need to "mark" mine. I don't keep more than 6, usually 4 in my "flock". When I had birds of the same breed/color (Buffs & Blue Wyandottes) didn't have problem telling them apart. Something about their color shade, shape, feathering or personality was helpful. Was even able to tell who laid by the shape of their eggs ... Those were the days I spent ALOT of time in their CH sitting and observing. Now not so much :rolleyes: at this time I have only 3 and they're of different breeds and colors.

Good news!

Samuel appears to be walking around just fine!

He does have a mark on his right leg:
View attachment 3549907
Joel's band appears to be getting tight, I will cut it off in the next day or so. I will need to recruit my son as a rooster holder:
View attachment 3549908

Purple/Fleck is headed for the auction, I will leave his band on until I remove him from the coop:
View attachment 3549911

Actually, I think I could tell them apart without the bands at this point!
Cross-posted ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Thanks for the input.

Hens look fine for now, but I will look into larger bands.

If you need some larger leg bands, I’d be happy to send you some. I got a bunch and was considering putting them on Craigslist. These size 11 are on our 5 wk chickies and seem to do ok. Have a bunch of multiple colors.

Attachments

• 25E67C86-E2FE-409D-A9BC-FF6405F6735A.jpeg
    25E67C86-E2FE-409D-A9BC-FF6405F6735A.jpeg
    624 KB · Views: 13
If you need some larger leg bands, I’d be happy to send you some. I got a bunch and was considering putting them on Craigslist. These size 11 are on our 5 wk chickies and seem to do ok. Have a bunch of multiple colors.
The ones I have are 9mm, supposedly, so 11mm might be a good step up.

Are they in different colors or numbers? Can you share a picture?

I appreciate your offer, very much.

Back
Top Bottom