Swollen Leg- HELP!

Sylvestor12

Songster
7 Years
May 13, 2012
I have a chick that is four days old. For the first two, she loved running around and then all of a sudden she started getting, "floppy" and wasn't moving to get food or water. So, I tried feeding/watering through syringe which she was very happy to eat and drink from. Confused, I checked the bitty and found out that she isn't moving one of her legs at all. I started feeling the joints and the joint closest to her body is really swollen. I don't know what to do or if I can do anything at all... Can someone help?

It's possible that she may have broken or badly sprained it. Chick chairs are great at helping with treatment of leg problems or a broken leg, until you can figure out what to do for them. Poultry vitamins or PolyVisol without iron infant vitamins 2-3 drop daily by mouth can help with bone healing. Here is a link about treating foot and leg problems and a photo of a chick chair: https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/
LL

Photo by ArtsyRobin, member of BYC.

I probably wouldn't use that on the leg. It's good for vent prolapse, but I wouldn't think it would help a swollen leg. You might post a picture of her leg.

Well, she passed away today. I almost wonder if it was an infection or something because she lost her appetite the day before she died. Thank you for the information though; I'll remember that for next time I have a problem with legs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom