swollen leg

mrsmatozo

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
My poor chicks leg is all swollen and discolored where the swelling is, this just happened like over night, she was fine yesterday, now shes limping around not eating or drinking like before. We separated her from the rest so she doesn't get trampled but she cries and just lays there, im pretty worried, i really dont want to lose her

How is your chick? I just saw this, 3 hours after your post.

Is it possibly broken? Maybe, if she doesn't fight you, you could try to splint it? That may make it feel better so she could move around more. Meanwhile, try to keep her hydrated by taking an eye dropper and placing small drops of water on the outside of her beak. If she is up to it she will suck it in. Don't try to put it into her mouth as she could aspirate it (get it into her lungs) and then she would really have a problem. You could also soak some chick food in water to make a gruel and try to get her to suck some of this in the same way, but hydration is the most important.

I hope she feels better.

How is your chick? I just saw this, 3 hours after your post.

Is it possibly broken? Maybe, if she doesn't fight you, you could try to splint it? That may make it feel better so she could move around more. Meanwhile, try to keep her hydrated by taking an eye dropper and placing small drops of water on the outside of her beak. If she is up to it she will suck it in. Don't try to put it into her mouth as she could aspirate it (get it into her lungs) and then she would really have a problem. You could also soak some chick food in water to make a gruel and try to get her to suck some of this in the same way, but hydration is the most important.

I hope she feels better.

[/quote
They all run and act crazy when we handle them but now she doesnt she just lays there basically. I dont know if its broke just know it's swollen pretty bad. How do you know? And how would it hsve got broken do you think? Shes just in a box with the others or was not now nothing to get hurt on. I will see if maybe I can come up with a splint or something. Shes eating and drinking just not near as much as before. Before she just like the rest ate and drank likeliterally all day now its just a little. I dont know o feel bad, this is my first time with chickens and I got these chicks not as pets but now theyve kinda become that way you know?

That's the way it works!
big_smile.png
You think you are going to just have some backyard eggs, high quality, know where your food comes from the BAM!!!
ep.gif
you get a look at the cute little buggers and they get right into your heart.

We started with a plan of having six, now we have 14 hens, all with names, a rooster, Bill, a broody that has one barely dry chick as we speak and another just pipped egg, and plans to order 25 more at the end of the month. On this website they call that chicken math.
hu.gif

I'm sorry I can't offer you more help. I just don't know what could have happened to your baby's leg but I do know how helpless you feel right now. I hope she recovers and gets back to running around with the others soon. And by the way...

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom