Swollen red crop and breast

Clabaugh9

Hatching
Apr 19, 2021
Hi! Can anyone offer advice on how to care for this chicken? I don’t know what is causing this.
her crop has been swollen and bright red. Feels like small granules inside it. And now she is losing feathers all down her breast bone and it’s bright red.

History: egg bound at least 2 times in the past 6 months. Soaked her in epsom salt and helped her pass it. Another time she passed it on her own. I’ve tried massaging her crop lots of times. She is given oyster shells and chicken grit.

Attachments

• 292528FC-1AD4-42FD-A169-5F81E15DDBDA.jpeg
    292528FC-1AD4-42FD-A169-5F81E15DDBDA.jpeg
    526.1 KB · Views: 61
How old is she? When did she last lay an egg, and were they normal? Could she be starting to molt? Does she spend much time on the roost or sleeping on the ground? She has some scaly leg mites on her legs and feet. I would check her body for lice and mites.

Does her crop empty by early morning if you check it at daylight? Do you offer her granite grit to help with digestion? What do you feed? If it still feels full and gritty, you can try some coconut oil1 tsp chilled and cut into small pieces to offer her. Then massage her crop several times a day, and offer plenty of water.

Back
Top Bottom