SWOLLEN/STUFFED CROPS...

monicabendele

Chirping
Nov 17, 2020
I picked up 15 chicks over the last couple days. Today, I put them in some pine shavings in a box in the sun and they seemed happy and energetic. When I checked on them later, to move them back to their pen (without shavings), several had balls of stuff in their crops. I'm afraid it's all pine. I guess it could be food, but wither way, how to I get them all to clear and not have this happen again? Olive oil in dish or with syringe? Probios? Water? I have only had them a day, and I was going to give grit, but is that even safe, now that they are already full and swollen?

Wait and see if their crops empty overnight.
If the crops are still full in the morning before they have had anything to eat or drink overnight, then let us know.

Personally, yes...I would provide a little chick grit free choice.
I took food away for several hours yesterday, and rechecked. Several still had some bulges, but some seems a bit smaller. I put food back in with ACV in water and probios in food and water...

My fear is, it's wood shavings, and if so, how to dissolve that.....

I took food away for several hours yesterday, and rechecked. Several still had some bulges, but some seems a bit smaller. I put food back in with ACV in water and probios in food and water...

My fear is, it's wood shavings, and if so, how to dissolve that.....
How are the crops now?
It's not unusual for chicks to have full crops when they have been eating/drinking. To gauge function it's best to check first thing in the morning before they have had anything to eat/drink. (after they have slept all night)

You would not necessarily be able to dissolve shavings. Generally if they only ate a bit and they have sufficient grit they should be able to pass the shavings.

One or two continue with somewhat harder-feeling bulges. I'll check again this AM. I've been massaging, but seems to stay harder and big for that chick. I guess, I'm just nervous about forcing olive oil d/t aspiration. Is there a technique to help ensure it doesn't go in lungs.

Last edited:
One or two continue with somewhat harder-feeling bulges. I'll check again this AM. I've been massaging, but seems to stay harder and big for that chick. I guess, I'm just nervous about forcing olive oil d/t aspiration. Is there a technique to help ensure it doesn't go in lungs.
You can give them coconut oil - put it in the fridge to harden it, then offer tiny chips of it.
You could also stir a little oil into the feed.

Back
Top Bottom