Swollen toe, no scab. Is it bumblefoot?

Best of luck with this problem, it looks so painful for her. šŸ’”

The heat could be due to the inflammation, and, the sore could absolutely be due to her walking ā€œfunnyā€ while she was ā€œlameā€

If she broke or dislocated something in her toe, manipulating it to get the sore open and cleaned out could have caused more pain ....but I would have done the same thing in your shoes.

Without having access to vet care, and you clearly are trying to do everything possible to save her....
I would suggest
(Iā€™m no pro, so remember what you paid for my advice šŸ˜‚)

- containing her to limit how much she is running around, if possible. Even if she is friendly with her run mates, ....if they get riled up, that can potentially make her move more than she should / cause a re injury.
Idk what your run / coop looks like, but can you perhaps put her in a dog crate or otherwise contain her apart from the others safely, whether in the coop, your house, or in sight of the others for a week or so?
- Epsom salt soak twice a day if you can
- try your best to not manipulate the toe while unwrapping, soaking, and re wrapping
- After soaking/ on the sore- spray the open sore with vetricyn if you have it, or can get it at the feed store.
Neosporin/ Triple antibiotic ointment (without pain relief) if you have to - but Iā€™ve had the best luck w vetricyn personally, as it doesnā€™t leave a residue for dirt to stick to. And then you also donā€™t have to touch the possibly broken toe more than you have to while wrapping and unwrapping ...
- keep up w the antibiotics per other peopleā€™s suggested dosage. Iā€™ve never used antibiotics for Bumblefoot but Iā€™m not inclined to stop antibiotics if you started them, just in case itā€™s an infection... you donā€™t want to make it harder to treat.
- because she is on antibiotics, once you finish the course, I would add plain yogurt, or cottage cheese, or some other source of probiotics to her treats for at
-least- a week / more if you can
- discard eggs for at least three weeks if she resumes laying (should be two weeks after finishing the course of antibiotics at least)

Just my 0.02$

Back
Top Bottom