Swollen toe, no scab. Is it bumblefoot?

Rosmarino

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2023
Hello, my Austrolorp hen has a swollen toe (see pics). I have noticed it 8 weeks ago, the toe looked deformed, the last section of the toe with the nail pointing upwards. It got better after a week or so and then got worse. She is not laying since then and has lost some appetite. Also she is limping and resting a lot.
We have no poultry vet here. And locals recommended to just slaughter her. I am not sure if this is bumblefoot or an injury. I cam not see a black dot or scab, the bottom of the foot is very hard. Has anyone ideas what it could be or how I could help her?

IMG-20230614-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20230614-WA0003.jpg

That does indeed look odd, can you get some pictures of both legs and feet side by side for comparison and some of her standing? I suggest washing her foot thoroughly and then soak in warm epsom salt water for 10-15 minutes. Regardless of what the issue is it won’t hurt. Can you try getting her to drink a little something? Even if it’s Gatorade? Dip her beak in the fish of water, or sugar water or whatever you are going to try to get her to drink. Hydration is important. You can also try raw or cooked egg yolk, she might like to try some of that for a treat. Id even try cat food, try getting something in her

That does indeed look odd, can you get some pictures of both legs and feet side by side for comparison and some of her standing? I suggest washing her foot thoroughly and then soak in warm epsom salt water for 10-15 minutes. Regardless of what the issue is it won’t hurt. Can you try getting her to drink a little something? Even if it’s Gatorade? Dip her beak in the fish of water, or sugar water or whatever you are going to try to get her to drink. Hydration is important. You can also try raw or cooked egg yolk, she might like to try some of that for a treat. Id even try cat food, try getting something in her
Thank you so much for your advice! I tried to take pictures of the feet while standing but the girl is quite shy and after I caught her the other day she is running away from me.
She was eating a bit of egg yolk and Spaghetti but without enthusiasm.
I decided to separate her from the the other two to feed her favourite meal (cooked minced meat, oregano, nettle powder mixed with arnica). I am thinking of taping the toe. But not sure if this is the correct solution because I don't really understand if its a dislocation, broken toe or bumblefoot. I wish I could go to a vet.

This morning I caught her again and soaked her foot in an Epsom salt bath. I noticed she doesn't curl the swollen toe like the others and it was very hot. After the bath I saw a scab and a yellowish swelling just below the nail (see photo). I dried the foot and desinfected the toe with Betadine solution, then rubbed a bit of comfrey balm in the area of where I think it could be a dislocated joint and taped it. I think the scab in the tip of the toe is a bumblefoot infection but I am not sure if this is secondary after she got injured and dislocated her toe. She is running around now, eating and drinking.
IMG_20230616_091821.jpg
IMG_20230616_092430.jpg
IMG_20230616_092425.jpg

Update: During the night I did some more reading here about bumblefoot and I decided to open the scab and see if I can remove the kernel.
After soaking the foot for 10 min in Epsom salt I poured plenty of Betadine over the toe then carefully made a cut with a sterile scalpel. I could peel the skin away and see some form yellow pus. It was difficult to get it out with the scalpel so I decided to squeeze. Fantastic! A big Kernel popped out and left a clean looking hole in the chicken tippy toe. A bit scary but I was relieved. I flushed the hole with more Betadine solution and bandaged the toe. Still not sure if this was the reason for the swelling of the whole toe because the Scab was far away from the joint that is so tender, swollen and hot. But we will see. Should I give her additionally antibiotics? I have some Cephalexin here left from my dog.
IMG-20230617-WA0002.jpg

IMG_20230617_091619.jpg
IMG_20230617_091636.jpg
IMG_20230617_091605.jpg

Update: During the night I did some more reading here about bumblefoot and I decided to open the scab and see if I can remove the kernel.
After soaking the foot for 10 min in Epsom salt I poured plenty of Betadine over the toe then carefully made a cut with a sterile scalpel. I could peel the skin away and see some form yellow pus. It was difficult to get it out with the scalpel so I decided to squeeze. Fantastic! A big Kernel popped out and left a clean looking hole in the chicken tippy toe. A bit scary but I was relieved. I flushed the hole with more Betadine solution and bandaged the toe. Still not sure if this was the reason for the swelling of the whole toe because the Scab was far away from the joint that is so tender, swollen and hot. But we will see. Should I give her additionally antibiotics? I have some Cephalexin here left from my dog.
View attachment 3545151
View attachment 3545147View attachment 3545148View attachment 3545150
Nice job removing the infection.
If the swelling doesn't start to go down in the next day or so, then yes, I would put her on a round of antibiotics.

The poor bird got worse. After the surgery that went so well, the swelling further up at the toe got bigger and very hot. She is sitting around all day now and stopped eating, even if I offer her boiled egg, spaghetti or meat. I am so worried.
This morning I gave her a first dose of Amoxillin/Clavulanate 200mg (she is about 2kg). Not entirely sure that's the right dose because there are many different dosages to be found in the Internet. I hope she will get better. Fortunately the other hen and the rooster are very friendly to her, not pecking at her but always protecting her when I come to catch her. It is very sweet, I love Australorps.

The poor bird got worse. After the surgery that went so well, the swelling further up at the toe got bigger and very hot. She is sitting around all day now and stopped eating, even if I offer her boiled egg, spaghetti or meat. I am so worried.
This morning I gave her a first dose of Amoxillin/Clavulanate 200mg (she is about 2kg). Not entirely sure that's the right dose because there are many different dosages to be found in the Internet. I hope she will get better. Fortunately the other hen and the rooster are very friendly to her, not pecking at her but always protecting her when I come to catch her. It is very sweet, I love Australorps.
Is vet care an option?

Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.

Is vet care an option?

Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days
Ok thank you so much. I took the dosage from here: https://poultrydvm.com/drugs/amoxicillin
For Amoxillin/Clavulanate it says 125-250mg/kg (8-12hours).
You think it is too much?

Last night she was better, she ate some Pasta, I saw her drinking and getting up. The swelling also seemed less. Perhaps the Amoxillin worked already.

Vet is not an option, I wish there was one.

No, I would give her 250mg twice a day if she weighs about 2kg. You want to knock this out of her, even if she improves, finish the full course of antibiotics.

I'm glad she is doing better.

Back
Top Bottom