Swollen toe

Theresef63

Chirping
Jan 4, 2021
I have a heritage breed turkey. The turkeys are pretty wild. A hen started limping so I snuck in the coop with the flash light and saw she had a cut on her toe behind her nail. I sprayed it really well with vetrycin for the next 5 days and thought everything was fine .. No more limping. She started not put weight on it last week. I cornered her to look at her foot and yea.. it's not good. So I plan on mix some Epsom salt up and put in a bag and soak her foot .. looks like she has lost the toenail at the minimum. What's the best antibiotic to use? I can do injectable or oral antibiotic. Daily Epsom soaks? My concern is with the swelling... the bone might be infected as well. She is a spring hatchling.

Is a farm vet possible? Do you have any pictures of the toe and foot? I would soak the foot in warm Epsom salts daily at least, but you might want to use Chlorhexidene or Betadine in the water first.

received_700768007917735.jpeg

It looks like she has lost the tip of her toe, either from a crush injury or frostbite if it has been cold enough in the last month. It should heal with your treatment.

It looks like she has lost the tip of her toe, either from a crush injury or frostbite if it has been cold enough in the last month. It should heal with your treatment.
That's where the cut was.. right behind the nail in the bottom. Her leg is tender above the knee. Mostly need to know what antibiotic? For injuries are hard to heel. No heat or discharge.

Amoxicillin (Aqua Mox found online) 250 mg twice a day for 7-10 days is easy enough to get. Your vet might be a better source for other antibiotics more quickly. Losing a toenail is quite painful for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom