Swollen toes, toenails covered or missing -photos-

I'm going to find some Blu kote today, & look into ivermectin dosage too,
will update
thanks!

Last edited:
OMG, I posted this to,
never found anything . My mables toe fell of and then I looked the other day another did that too.. I am glad to finally find someone with the same problem.
Mables the only one affected, please post your findings. I am soo confused as to get, DE, use ivermectin, Fleas spray, vaselaline.
Ect..

I have trouble with leg mites also, and toenails have come off. Another BYCer told me to try Poultry Protector. It's a spray on thing. Organic so you don't have to toss the eggs. Anyone else use this? I also have a bad case of lice in my birds, and I've been using this spray to try to combat it.

I am reading mixed results with the Poultry Protector; it is an herbal mixture as I understand it.

LEG MITES - Keeping control of leg mites is as easy as smearing vaseline on their legs at bed time. Messy but easier than some things! I just keep some vaseline in the feed room, and a bag of clean rags. Every so often I just go in the run near bedtime, and as the hens stand up on their perches I stand behind them and give them lady hen spa treatments. They now seem to enjoy the little leg/foot massages.

POULTRY LICE - Mrs. Puff, I would try the ProZap Poultry Dust on lice. I feel quite comfortable using pyrethrins, although I do use gloves to avoid my allergic reactions. Just rube a small handful of the powder into the vent feathers and under each wing before you put them to bed in the evening. Redust in a week, and you should be good to go for at least a couple of months.

TOE PROBLEMS - I am still wondering if these toe problems folks are seeing aren't related to a fungal infection???

I picked up some Blu Kote today. I couldn't find it at first, and after asking was directed to the horse supplies. They had aerosol and pump spray. I took the pump. about 7 bucks.

Will apply it/try it this evening.

Sure wish my chickens would enjoy a greasy leg massage like yours. They hate it for sure.

Glad Blu Kote is an antifungal, as I really do think that might be the problem after all.

hi hows everyone, i am new to the forum, funny i should run across this but i have a rhode island red that recently lost all nails on one foot. it doesnt seem to affect her at all, ive only had chickens for one year so i didnt think anything of it. now im curious to find an explanation.

Hi all,
An update about Pretty Boy, the roo I started this thead about.

This photo is a couple days after I sprayed on some Blu Kote which I think should be called deep purple kote. I also didn't realize how staining it was and got some on my hands. But lots of Lava soap and a shower pretty much got rid of it.

I wish there was a spray that would smother mites instead of vaseline or bag balm, so all the straw and dirt. etc didn't cling so terribly to the goo.

I gave them new perches when I cleaned out the coop after the winter, and now I have wrapped them with duct tape thinking that it might prevent the mites from hiding in the wood. They don't peck and try and eat the duct tape, so that is good. As it wears and gets ragged, I will just re-wrap.

As for the Ivermectin, the feed store I went to only sold it in massive quantities, I may try another store.
~Sara
PBpurple1.jpg

Quote:
Our Favorelle rooster has the same problem - swollen toes, missing nails - no mites or other bug problems though. It's been that way for a couple of months now. He's been limping around a little bit. We kind of figured it was due to possible frostbite or had something to do with being penned up. Today we noticed the poor guys leg is swollen and slightly warmer than the other leg. We've checked Joe's feet - no sore, no sign of bumblefoot, no redness.

I know it's bothering him but I just don't know what to do for him. He lets us touch his legs/feet so I'm guessing that doesn't bother him - just putting weight on it.

Joe is eleven months old now. No changes to food or anything.

Back
Top Bottom