Swollen Turkey Foot

nancydeaver

Hatching
7 Years
May 23, 2012
Our pet turkey (a broad breasted white turkey) has a swollen foot. When I touch it, it feels warm. What can I do to help her heal? Here is a picture.

Welcome to BYC.

Sorry about your girl. Poor BB's are prone to many leg and foot problems. Is there a dark scab or callus on bottom of foot? Then it is probably pododermatitis (bumblefoot). If not, then possibly gouty arthritis (response to old injury). You can try soaking food in warm epsom salts and water (after mixing add enough betadine to make the soak look like dark tea) for as long as she will hold still for it. If it is bumblefoot this might start to draw out infected material (could try antibiotics at that point, as well). I'd be leary of actually removing scab/callus on a heavy turk unless I was willing to dress with 2"x2"'s on bottom of foot - with plain neosporin, wrap with cotton bandaging and keep on clean, soft bedding.

How much does she weigh? Restricting diet might be an option.

Welcome to BYC.
Sorry about your girl. Poor BB's are prone to many leg and foot problems. Is there a dark scab or callus on bottom of foot? Then it is probably pododermatitis (bumblefoot). If not, then possibly gouty arthritis (response to old injury). You can try soaking food in warm epsom salts and water (after mixing add enough betadine to make the soak look like dark tea) for as long as she will hold still for it. If it is bumblefoot this might start to draw out infected material (could try antibiotics at that point, as well). I'd be leary of actually removing scab/callus on a heavy turk unless I was willing to dress with 2"x2"'s on bottom of foot - with plain neosporin, wrap with cotton bandaging and keep on clean, soft bedding.
How much does she weigh? Restricting diet might be an option.
That should say FOOT, not FOOD. Please make sure NOT to feed the epsom salt to the turkey. It's a laxative!!!!

Thanks for the SP., Nsampsel.
smile.png
YW...LOL

I read that & thot "OH NO!!!!" And spell check doesn't catch those ones either
roll.png

Thanks so much. I am soaking her foot in the betadine and epson salt, but not sure how long to make her sit there. I have her in a bucket, its actually quite cute and she seems to not care that she is sitting there for 30-45 min. Is that long enough?

Back
Top Bottom