Symptoms in quarantine birds, is vet trip needed?

Kiiarah

Chirping
Jul 22, 2021
Hi everyone, I am hoping to get some opinions from those with more experience. I have 3 new hens that are finishing up quarantine in about a week and a half. I am considering taking them to a vet for a well check before integrating as a couple have symptoms I am a little nervous about, but I am unsure how much a visual inspection could actually identify. It would help a ton if anyone is willing to read over what we are encountering and let me know whether it sounds like a vet trip would be wise, or do any good, or whether just a fecal float would be adequate. Each bird and observations noted below.

Lotus: Has Marek's and Coccidiosis shots. Laying well, good plumage, clear eyes and nose. Crop feels less hard than I am used to when full, but no odor or gurgling, empties overnight, and droppings are regular. Treated with Zimecterin Gold as one bird had confirmed tapeworm.

240987082_4485569021505493_3080010843407747495_n.jpg

Sunshine: Has had Marek's and Coccidiosis shots. Not laying yet, plumage at saddle area is a bit rough, no missing feathers, clear eyes and nose. Was coughing upon arrival home and sneezing, this only continued for a few days, with fewer instances each day and has not re-occurred since. Confirmed tapeworm segments in droppings upon arrival home, treated with Zimecterin Gold, no segments observed since, but observation has been limited as they are in quarantine. We sit with them for an hour each evening.

240875992_359359272564576_8497524061312245481_n.jpg

Topaz: Unvaccinated (hopefully canary bird). Not laying yet, plumage at saddle area a bit rough, no missing feathers, clear eyes, occasional clear discharge at edge of nostril (very minimal) and occasional sneezing that may be due to being on sand litter for the first time and frequently wiping beak in it. Occasionally lies down for a moment while eating, but very active and coordinated the rest of the time. Came from overcrowded housing, so maybe she is used to laying low to avoid being shoved around? Have observed a couple of foamy yellowish brown droppings (not sulphur yellow), no foamy droppings recently but still the occasional light brown pudding consistency dropping with very strong smell (not like the cecal poop I have seen, this is more tan). Also had Zimecterin Gold treatment, first dose 8/15 last dose given on 8/26. Foamy poops were observed 8/19 and 8/20.

241104466_350742210112360_5974843063952251464_n.jpg

Everyone is eating and drinking, roosting, scratching in the litter, generally behaving the way a chicken should. Nobody appears in distress. They have been in quarantine for about 2.5 weeks. I am just not sure how much of this might be due to stress of the move, change in environment, change in diet etc. They were in very overcrowded, muddy conditions with flies everywhere before coming home with us. We will be integrating to a healthy flock so I want to be very careful how we proceed. Does any of this sound like it is more serious than internal parasites or changes to housing? Also do you see anything of concern in the photos I might have missed. If it sounds like they should be seen before being introduced I will schedule right away. Thanks so much everyone!

You might consider keeping them quarantine for 30 days. Based on the living conditions they were in when you got them.

Changing there food will cause there poop to be inconsistent for about a week or two. As for the rough saddle feathers, it's probably due to overcrowding and being pushed around.

Have you checked for mites or lice on there feathers and skin? Or lesions inside the mouth, scaley mites on there leg and under there feet?

After 30 days, you should get better reassurance of the health and condition of that group. Taking them to the vet after that time frame will verify there condition.

You might consider keeping them quarantine for 30 days. Based on the living conditions they were in when you got them.

Changing there food will cause there poop to be inconsistent for about a week or two. As for the rough saddle feathers, it's probably due to overcrowding and being pushed around.

Have you checked for mites or lice on there feathers and skin? Or lesions inside the mouth, scaley mites on there leg and under there feet?

After 30 days, you should get better reassurance of the health and condition of that group. Taking them to the vet after that time frame will verify there condition.

Thanks Tony, I have done a thorough check of all superficial areas. Mouths look good, vents are clear with no sign of parasites (as are the areas under their wings), leg scales are smooth and foot pads look healthy. Posture, balance, alertness all seem good too. It is really just the strange droppings and sneezing from the one that have me the most concerned. Unfortunately I do not know what her diet was at the previous home, but it at least appeared to be pellets rather than crumbles. I believe their previous owner said they were already on layer feed, but what we have is the grower crumbles so they have been getting that with oyster shell on the side.

I have given them rice, probiotics in the water, kale, and a dried mix of treats by manna pro since they came home. Topaz (the one with the odd droppings) has really been loving the safflower seeds, which I think are high in protein, so that might be part of it. If they were on layer feed, the grower would likely be higher protein also. I would just hate to dismiss anything concerning and regret it later. That is why I am so conflicted, I know all the things to look for and they do seem in good health overall. My plan is to take them for a vet check, if needed, once those 30 days are up but I would have to schedule soon to have that all time out and not wind up keeping them in quarantine longer than needed waiting for the appt.

It just seems like every "symptom" they are showing can be either a sign of a serious problem, or easily explained. For instance, the runny nose could just be from dust or could be CRI. The foamy droppings could be a higher protein diet, cocci, or worms. With no other symptoms to point in one clear direction, it is hard to know when to be concerned. We are also taking the owner at her word as far as age goes, and since they are new to me it is hard to tell if anyone is underweight, which would point more to worms. Their weights are 3-4 lbs each, which seems fine if they are the age she said (4-5 months old). One has paler legs and looks and acts older than the other two, so maybe she has been laying for longer than we were told and is older, or maybe that is abnormal. The one with the pink, but paler comb, has not laid for us yet so perhaps younger, but if she should be POL that could mean anemia or nutritional deficiency. I am not even sure if something like Cocci could be present with the only symptoms being foamy poop and a slight sneeze. Part of me feels like a vet would know, but part of me also feels like they will only have access to the same information I have, which seems like too little to be sure. Even the laying down to eat has me anxious because I have no idea if that is enough to label lethargy or weakness if she is fine the rest of the time.

No one here can tell you whether or not it's safe to add them to your flock.

If you are that concerned, then seek a paid opinion - A Vet.

Thanks Wyorp, I know there is never a guarantee of safety (asymptomatic carriers and all) but since I am so new to this I was hoping to get a read out on whether most people would wait and watch with the symptoms we are seeing, or if any are alarming enough to definitely warrant a trip to the vet. Seems like everything I look up has a list of harmless causes and a list of serious causes for the same symptom, and I am not sure what I should be looking for to point in one direction or the other. If they were our only birds I would just be watching and monitoring for change in condition, but since we are exposing others I don't want to dismiss anything someone more experienced would take more seriously. :)

I agree with the 30 days quarantine. That way if there’s any recurrence or lingering symptoms you should pick up on them. Obviously none of our advice replaces that of a qualified poultry Vet. Unfortunately poultry vets are few and far between in my experience.😊
Sounds like you’re doing a great job with them so far. I always dust new birds for mites with permethrin whether I can see any or not.

While there being quarantined, you should consider only giving them there chicken feed. And skip treats entirely for the duration. This is to get a better assessment of there poop day in day out.

Chicken poop varies a lot when you allow them to eat treats and other items. So this would make it difficult to see how they are really doing with there digestion.

I agree with the 30 days quarantine. That way if there’s any recurrence or lingering symptoms you should pick up on them. Obviously none of our advice replaces that of a qualified poultry Vet. Unfortunately poultry vets are few and far between in my experience.😊
Sounds like you’re doing a great job with them so far. I always dust new birds for mites with permethrin whether I can see any or not.
Thank you. :) That is the plan, and it sounds like it will be a slightly longer than 30 day quarantine since the vet can't get them in until the 20th. We are lucky to have one in the area, so it sounds like the best bet is to take advantage of that and get a professional's assessment.

While there being quarantined, you should consider only giving them there chicken feed. And skip treats entirely for the duration. This is to get a better assessment of there poop day in day out.

Chicken poop varies a lot when you allow them to eat treats and other items. So this would make it difficult to see how they are really doing with there digestion.
Good suggestion, I caved and gave them the treats since the rice was supposed to help settle stomachs after worming and I am eager to start getting a healthier diet into them, but it makes sense that would complicate things. Any guess as to how long it would take to "stabilize" droppings once treats are removed from the equation?

Should be a day after eating the treat that it gets pooped out. If you recall the time when you gave them the last treat. It will help to track there bowel movements.

Back
Top Bottom