T post Q

IRL

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Hi
I am building a run using 5 foot high welded wire. I have some questioms about t posts:

1. What's the difference between a u post and a t post?
2. Should I use a 6' high t post for 5' high fencing? Basically, how much of The post needs to be in the ground?
3. Are light duty post ok, or are the heavy duty posts necessary?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Depends on how moveable you want your fence.

If the fence is for chickens, they may fly over if you don't clip one wingie. Our EE hen, fat as she is, easily flew over our 6 foot wire fence, then we put 6X6 posts in concrete for that fence because she'd roost there, balanced on the edge of wire, bobbing up and down, back and forth. Now we have concrete fence posts stuck there, not real useful and somewhat in the way because we've moved our chickens over to the other yard. However, the green metal Tposts were not sturdy enough for their protection from dogs (front paws strong as the arms of an orangutan), and the welded wire became bent with the weight of the chickens flapping at it and our kids leaning/hanging/grabbing on it.

Eventually we spent gobs and gobs of money on actual fencing, installed.

I hope my experience helps you with your decision, one way or another.

Thanks
I plan to cover everything with aviary netting, so flying isn't an issue. Do you know if the posts you said were not sturdy were light or heavy duty?

Anybody else?

I use t posts and welded wire for almost all my fencing applications, goats, dogs and chickens, so here's my 2 cents.

The light duty posts are strong enough to hold the wire and contain the chickens if you are putting them in top soil or other soft ground. I will bend some of the light duty posts driving them into my ground here as there is little to no top soil in places and it's mainly rocks. The heavy duty posts stand up to the extra pounding for the hard ground.

The 5' wire works with 5 or 6' posts. If I use 5' posts, I have 6" or so of wire above the top of the post once it's in the ground.

The "U" posts, don't like em, too flimsy.

The best method for attaching the wire to the posts, hands down - no contest... zip ties. I buy them by the gross, usually in the electrical section. They are fast and easy and they work great. The dogs and goat can break them if they really try, but they snap the metal clips too and those are way more of a pain to put on so for me, zip ties are the big winners.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom