Table Scraps

jimboradley

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Hi all,
We've got two toddlers in our home so table scraps are plentiful. My question is, is it bad to feed the hens a lot of table scraps? It would be nice if they didn't eat their feed so quickly because we've got a lot of other waste food they could eat. When I first got the hens, I fed them a lot, but then I thought they might not be getting proper nutrition, so I've just been letting them pick through the compost heap when I let them out to stretch their legs.

What she said ^

Also,what food is it? I won't give hamburger helper/pasta roni, etc to my hens. They get only good produce and healthier foods.

Three hens to two toddlers. I'd say maybe a cup or two of table scraps per meal. We eat vegetarian but there's a fair amount of non-veggie foods in our diets. We don't often eat out-of-the-box types of foods.

I won't give hamburger helper/pasta roni, etc to my hens. They get only good produce and healthier foods.

MsPony, you made me laugh, as I have to ASSUME that the leftover hamburger helper/pasta roni is from YOUR meal ... but you'd only feed your chickens GOOD produce and HEALTHIER foods??? Please, no offense meant. I WOULD and DO feed my chickens any and all leftovers, including the stuff I catch in the kitchen sink drain (no electronic garbage disposal here). I figure they'll eat what appeals to them and leave the rest. Mostly, nothing is ever left. Have been doing this for YEARS and have the best tasting eggs.​

Last edited:
Yeah-= I giggled at that, too! And I totally get it! I've been holistic with my horse herd for years ...

LOL,I thought about that when I posted it!

No, I do NOT eat that stuff :p My dh and bil do, but I quit that fight a couple years ago.

Btw Mariel, look into Dynamite for your horses
wink.png
I feed it to all my animals.

Back
Top Bottom